Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Make your own Walnut Shell Carbon Blaster

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Metalman, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I'll start a thread here documenting the construction of my own R56 "Walnut Shell Carbon Blaster".

The first part will show you the steps I'm going through to build what's commonly called a "Pressure Pot"..... Yes, I could easily buy a rather cheap unit from Harbor Freight, but whats the fun in that?

The BMW sourced unit (P/N 81 29 2 208 034) made by WEZAG TOOLS, INC is priced somewhere around $800.00 or so, if you can get your hands on one.

The reccomended walnut shell:
    Replacement media, 20/30 SAE or 0.45-0.80mm walnut shells can be sourced locally or through one of the following distributors:

MARCO® Corporate – 800 252 7848 Ext. 284 - marcousa.com/index.cfm

Trinity Tool Company - 800 587 4626 - Trinity Tool Co. Blast Cleaning Equipment

McMASTER-CARR® - McMaster-Carr

Harbor Freight has this in a fine 24 grit size in 25 pound bags for around $23.00 to $25.00 USD

I'll try and list all the prices of parts that I actually must purchase, many bits and pieces I'll consider free to me as I'll be using scrap metal but I'll list their approximate cost.

I won't include my labor, which in my case I'll consider to be free as well (even though it isn't), but in a round about way you can kind of follow along with what it might cost you to build if you have the mechanical skills...

I actually started this project when I was at the shop last Saturday... The progress may move along fast or it may slow down depending on how much effort I put into it daily.....

I started out with a piece of scrap 5" schedule 40 pipe 24" long, which will be the main body that contains the walnut blast media....
    Scrap piece to me but valued at approximately..... $17.50 each x 1

[​IMG]

I needed to create a sealing surface for the removable lid, so I turned on my lathe a 2" section of the 5" pipe and created small piece that will be welded back on the body of the tank. The piece will have a recessed lip which will form a seal with an "O" ring in the lid.
    Scrap piece to me but valued at approximately..... $1.50 each x 1

[​IMG]

2. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The removable lid will be held in place on the tank body by 3 Zinc plated forged lifting eyes. These were purchased from McMaster Carr P/N 3112T33
    Price each $5.54 x 3

And Zinc plated machine screw flattened ends from McMaster Carr P/N 90172A639
    Price each $1.93 each x 3

[​IMG]

I had to build weld on mounts to hold the machine screws to the tank body held in place with 1/4" shoulder bolts
    Price each $1.00 each x 3 (tabs and shoulder bolts)

[​IMG]

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Stopped by my local pipe fitter supply house and picked up a 5" pipe cap. This will be welded onto one end of the tank and form the bottom.
    Price each $18.00 x 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    More More More :Thumbsup:

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Great instructions and pictures MM. I ran down the basement, during the break, to be sure I had all that stuff, just gathering dust on the shelves. Can't wait to get started.

Oh wait. I have a justa. I don't need one. :lol::lol::lol:

Jim

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ :prrr::prrr::prrr:
    Justa maka sure you feeda yur chickins today....

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well done, Metalman!

I'm in the process of building my own set up too.....I went ahead and bought the part that attaches to the head from MINI (thanks for the part number), and I also bought the 20 lb pressure pot blaster and walnut shells from Harbor Freight.

All I have left to do is make the wand that fits into the MINI part to do the actual blasting....I went down to the MINI dealer and they let me look at the "official" wand, to me it just looks like a piece of 1/4" ID metal brake or fuel line bent into a J shape. There's no orifice to speak of.....

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to mate that to the handle that came with the blaster, but it might take finding a fitting that fits and brazing the pipe to it.....

The only other difference that I can see between what I'm doing and the official factory machine it that it has a two speed handle, it allows you to blow just compressed air without the walnut shells to help clean out the ports after you've been blasting them. I have an air gun with a long nozzle, I figure I can easily modify it to do the same thing, I'll just need an additional air hose.

Of course, it goes without saying you'll also need a clean dry source of compressed air and a good shop vac, both of which I have already.

So far I've spent about $140 for mine, including 25lbs of walnut shells.....another $10 for the wand ought to do easily finish it......

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Dave....
    My journey will be longer, but that's also part of my enjoyment in making it from scratch.

One thing that would be interesting to find out is what procedure the MINI tec's use to crank the engine to get the valves closed as they work between cylinders. Do they crank the engine by hand or jump the starter? Or do they simply put it in gear and push the MINI? Any clue?

9. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
  10. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I want one of these! Lol. Only problem is that I don't know a thing bout machining or know any machinists.

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Well you're a member of MA and IF you live up Ohio way.............PM MM :Thumbsup:

Jason

12. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well I only live 2 hour south of Cinci. Where at in Ohio are you located? I might want to work out a deal.

13. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Just go to the Private Messages Section. Send your message to Metalman and he'll send you back a message probably tomorrow. Good Luck:Thumbsup:

Jason(I'm actually in Texas. Metalman is a member of Mid Ohio MINIs)

14. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Great work so far MM!

15. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Oh OK gotcha. I didn't look at the username lol.

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I don't know how they do it, bit since mine's an auto transmission I plan to use a socket on the crank pulley...seems like you should be able to do two cylinders, then roll it over and do the other two.

17. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'll be watching this one. I looked at these media blasters and immediately canned the though after seeing how expensive they were versus how much I'd use it. Good ole gun cleaners for now and elbow grease.

18. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    #18 AliceCooper, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

If you have a good compressor and shop vac you only need about $100 worth of special tools and the walnut media. I have heard of people paying as much as $1500 for this service and as low as $300 in a 10 person group. I posted links from ECS Tuning in a previous post in this thread.

19. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'll have about $150 in mine including the 25lb box of walnut media, but I have air and a shop vac already...

20. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    It is so sad to have to do this to a $30K car, but that is some damned fine ingenuity making it yourself!