Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Noisemaker delete?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by JC55MINI, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I just got info about the "Noise Maker delete" from DoS. I'm not a fan of the turbo sound, and especially the BOV. I dig my exhaust sound, but not the turbo.

With the noisemaker delete, it says it gets rid of the enging sound in the passenger compartment, but... is it worth it? Does anyone have any experience with it? What can i expect if I go forward with this MOD?

The site said it gives minimal boost improvement.

2. Dan@GrassrootsGarage

Sep 30, 2009
    Thomasville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The boost pressure does not have to push and displace the diaphragm in the noise maker, so theoretically there should be a small improvement. I'm sure it would not be noticeable, however, since the pressure is not being bled off either, it would not hurt anything to delete it. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
    --Dan

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Turbos make noise?

4. Dan@GrassrootsGarage

Sep 30, 2009
    Thomasville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apparently not, if they decided it needed a noisemaker :)

5. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This functions the same as the Forge silicone IC delete hose that I've put on our Clubman. Frankly, I can't say that I've noticed any sound or power difference from it, but I still consider it money well spent. Particularly since I added the Helix FMIC.

6. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The noise maker is not for the turbo per se. It is to push engine sound in to the passenger compartment.

Thanks for your feedback!

7. Dan@GrassrootsGarage

Sep 30, 2009
    Thomasville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just being sarcastic.
    Its seems like a silly thing for the engineers to have put there in the first place.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Probably mandated by the marketing dept.

The conversion between the marketing guy and the engineer during a drive of an early pre-production model.

Chipper Jones (Brit marketing guy) "Jolly good Klaus, sure is a sprinter"

Klaus (German engineer) "Ja" and then puts foot to floor as a wry smirk appears.

CJ "A bit to quiet there mate, any way we can punch up some engine sound to the driver"

Klaus (rolling eyes and looking askance) No need for silliness such as that. Das MINI is fine"

CJ "no really old chap..it needs the noise"

Klaus grumbles and creates the noisemaker.

9. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It is kinda stupid to have in place but a lot of companies are doing this sort of thing these days, the 2010 Mustang has a similar device that pipes engine noise into the cabin.
    I think the conversation went more like this thought.
    NVH department: "It's really quiet in the new car, the buyers will appreciate all of it."
    Marketing department: "Uhmm yeah, the buyers are already pissed we got rid of the supercharger whine, is there any way we can make them hear the turbocharger more?"
    NVH: "Seriously? We just spent 8 months and over 2 million dollars designing the quietest interior ever in a MINI and you want more noise?"
    Marketing: "Yeah, now you get it! It should only take a few months and less than one million to do this."
    NVH: "Do you listen to the words that come out of your mouth or just start talking and hope logic happens?"
    Engineering department: "Just ignore him, we can make a plastic tube for three bucks that takes does that."

10. Dan@GrassrootsGarage

Sep 30, 2009
    Thomasville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps as well, it was a better option than the tubing piped into the cabin from the exhaust. The test drivers all fell asleep and crashed, so the idea was scrapped

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I had the DoS CAI Installed with the Noisemaker delete at the same time back in Aug. Can't say I've noticed a big diff, if anything I am hearing more (see below). The DoS CAI is working very nicely.

That said the OEM BOV "iron lung/sucky sucky" noise is killing me! My understanding is that the OEM air box had the BOV feed into it which cut down the sound.

Clint from DoS is working on some sort of baffle to cut down the noise (most pronounced when depressing clutch shifting up from 3rd +)

Anybody find anything else to quiet this down?

12. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone got a delete kit for the noisemaker that brings in sound from the tires? I think they made the engine noisemaker so it could compete with tire noise.

13. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Go to TireRack and select "Grand Touring" performance category!

14. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yuck, not worth giving up that much in handling.

15. LUnari

LUnari New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Noisemaker delete

For one the engine sounds quieter, I felt a little more throttle response and a more steady, unfluctuating idling. It was well worth the 8 bucks I invested in it. I have a 2009 Cooper S with 92k miles which I got 6 months ago. I would definitely recommend doing it. Who needs that extra hunk of junk in the tiny Mini engine bay anyway.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! LUnari. But you know the last post to this thread was 7 years ago?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  17. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm worse off my new Mini will have speakers under each end broadcasting a swoosh sound so you can hear the car coming.

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I took it off my 2009 Clubby shortly after I got the car, it was rattling around and I did not see the point of it, especially on an automatic equipped car.

I noticed absolutely no difference in the engine tho, performance or noise - wise.