Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S JB+/ inexpensive mods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Skoon2163, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Skoon2163

Skoon2163 New Member

Nov 20, 2014
    FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hey all, new to the mini forum. i have a '12 S and looking for some info/feed back on some inexpensive options for a little more power. I think it already handles great and it will probably never see a track so suspension mods are not high on my list (for now.) I've done some searching and dind't come up with much. I don't want to spend a fortune or have reliability/driveability issues, just looking for another 20 hp or so. I've found in a few other forums talk about the JB+ plug in, almost sounds too good to be true for $300, can anyone comment on it? Would a drop-in air K&N filter do much as it sounds like the cost of a CAI isn't really worth the gain in these cars. I was thinking about this JB+, drop-in and a cat-back... NM torque insert? Will this give me what I'm looking for? Any feed back would be great

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I,m a first gen guy so can't realy help but someone will be along that can. I would say get a rear swaybar at the very least. It does Handel good but you can make it much better.

3. Skoon2163

Skoon2163 New Member

Nov 20, 2014
    FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Yes, I've read a swaybar is basically a must for greatly improving handling. Is that something I can install myself?

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Yes it's not hard. Most of us start with the suspension. The normal stuff will help the performance, could air intake, cat back exhaust, better Intercooler, ECU tune, ect.
    The mini is happiest on twesty roads.

I know nothing about the JB so I can't help but I know we have some good sponsors that have great reputations for tuning. Jan is very good and can do remot tunes I believe. I would use him befor I did some plug and play one size fits all.
    But like I said some of the gen2 guys will be more help

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A

7. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

Suspension mods are the best! :cornut: In my humble opinion the strength of the car is in the handling...and making it handle even better is just pure awesomeness (I feel like I've used the word "awesome" at least 50 times today).

I know a couple people who use the JB+ and really enjoy it. Personally it doesn't really call to me for some reason.

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    #8 old81, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    I have a friend who really likes his JB+, not sure you really get 20+, but you do get some and some throttle control, per him.

I would go rear sway bar, sticky summer tires if your area allows versus the run-flats, K&N style filter, simple panel upgrade is good for some air flow, not much HP.

A full cat-back and a new performance Down Pipe would open it up and give you some sound and a good gain in HP. If you go to big on the cat-back, you will lose torque, so keep it at 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 or go 3 inch and the JB+ or a real tune.

Also, how do you feel about warranty, the JB+ can be backed off, a tune for the N18 might need an ECU mod, which pretty much blows your warranty at all but a few MINI dealers. YMMV!

Enjoy, tune up the ride a bit, since your not doing track days, enjoy some twisties and the MIN.

Don
    :)

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M\A :Thumbsup:

Word of caution: Once you start modding your MINI no how many time you say "this is the last mod I am going to do" you will NEVER stop modding. :lol:

Welcome to the addiction and we are here to help you spend you money wisely.

10. Skoon2163

Skoon2163 New Member

Nov 20, 2014
    FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Aside from cost, voiding my warranty is something I don't want to worry about. Its good through the end of next year. I guess that's why the JB+ is appealing. It sounds inexpensive and works. And I guess I just don't need an aggressive tune, even if it nets me more power than a plug in. Are there any other plugins worth looking at before making a decision? I'm not trying to find huge power gains. I have some decent non run flats. Unfortunately where I live in FL, there are basically zero twisties. Another factor in not being huge into suspension mods right now. Thanks for the input

11. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    You'll definitely like the JB+ for all the reasons mentioned (inexpensive, effective, easy to install and remove before a dealer visit) I live in South Florida as well and even without a lot of fun twisty roads the non-run flats and 25mm Hotchkis rear sway bar transformed the car from fun into an OMG blast to drive. Add a JB+ and the SPG (smiles per gallon) climbs exponentially.

12. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    SOLD my CAI ( typhoon by K&N ) , it caused heat soaking and loss of TQ. Still running my JB+ which adds 20+ hp documented and about 25 pounds of TQ . I am going to Manic but for the $$$ it can't be beat, and it's easily removable and you can find used ones for $200 , hell I'll sell you mine in 2 weeks.

My wife runs one and she can tell the diff, my son, my co worker.

13. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    $30 or below mods; lightinsight, stubby antenna, pulsating third brake light, and puddle lights.

14. GVFlyer

GVFlyer New Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to revive a Jurassic thread, but has anyone with the Burger Motorsports N18 JB+ noticed a mileage change?