Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Discharge Pipes ? Hard vs Silicone & BOV's

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by wabiker3576, Apr 3, 2015.

1. wabiker3576

wabiker3576 New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    After talking to a salesperson about what mods that I can do that will not effect my warranty , he suggested 3 , new Discharge pipe , BOV spring and a K&N style Filter , so I have been looking into changing out my Discharge Pipe , but in my research I cant seem to find any opinion on which type of pipe to use , a hard version like the NM or a Silicone like the M-7 or Alta . No offense to WWM , with this question , but is there a noticable performance and durablity difference in the NM versus the M-7 or Alta for the $100.00 price difference ? And if so would I notice it using the car as a just a daily drive with no intent of doing any track days ? Next , is the NM BOV unit that much better than a Alta replacement spring ? Or is it just a labor thing ?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Warning!!!! Dave.0 rant to come very soon!

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I can't really help but one of the Gen 2 guys will be along soon that can.

Dave likes Alta and M-7:D

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Wish I could help, but like dave-o, I'm a gen1 guy....
    But looking at the list, they seem to all fall into the "bling", " feel good" or "sound" mod....
    And the fact the dealer says that the mods will not "void" the warrenty Kinda proves it....

I might suggest that you pursue comfort or style mods if warrenty issues are a real concern....
    And since many MINI'S have more performance when running properly than most folks ever use, there is no shame in that.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hi it's me. :lol:

I would go with the NM one because the other 2 companies make crap parts that do not fit and hardly anything works as described.

That's why the NM one cost more, they do testing and make sure things really work and make quality parts. (You get what you pay for)

Friends don't let friends buy ALTA or as the motto goes "It ALTA fit & work but it doesn't"

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    From what I've read, there is no measurable performance increase with aftermarket discharge piping, that includes the hot side muffler. If you want to color coordinate your induction piping to go with your car, silicone hoses are a nice option, but they won't make your car any quicker. A recirc. valve spring wouldn't hurt anything and they are cheap. A K&N air filter or a foam type oiled filter will flow more air, and you can clean and reuse them, just be careful not to over oil them after cleaning them as excess oil can mess up the Mass Air Flow sensor. There are dry air filters available that flow more air than stock too.

7. wabiker3576

wabiker3576 New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    San Diego
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, after all the feedback I have planned on going a different way , I'm now looking for Black wheels and Non run flats tires . And DneprDave , do you have any suggestions for a Dry style filter?

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Way Motor Works has high flow dry filters, I'm sure there are other vendors who have them also.

Dave