Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Best code reader for 2010 Mini S

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by kat, Apr 9, 2015.

1. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I stumbled across this website looking for a good Code Reader AND clearer for my wife's 2010 Mini Cooper S. It seems to be showing check engine light and she has taken it to a shop (not a dealer) and had it scanned and codes cleared. According to my wife the guy said to check the plugs and compression, she is bringing me the details when she gets off from work.

But being mechanically inclined I would like to have an instrument that can tell me what the problem is, but there is so many different one to choose and I have found in past experience its best to ask real people that own the car to get the best information.

So what would be a good code reader/code clearer for the car?? I would like to stay around the $200 range as I see some for over $400...Thanx for any input

Also I was going to change out plug in the car....if my local Autozone has them would that be a good idea or do I have to get special plugs from a dealer??

2. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    If you want to be able to read ALL of the codes... get a BavTech cable. It requires a laptop, but will get you all the information you need. Otherwise, any of the cheaper auto zone gizmos will read and clear your emissions and engine codes.

3. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the reply, I looked at the BavTech and that seems a little over my head...I might try one at Autozone but I thought there might be one a little better than the ones they have at Autozone

4. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    It really isn't as bad as you might think. Plus it explains the codes right there... rather then needing to look up what the numbers mean elsewhere.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If you have access to a computer in the garage this is a fantastic product. It is more than most basic readers at $179 but it will do a much better job of diagnosing problems than a basic reader will.

6. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have a laptop I could drag out to my car...Which one of the models would you recommend??

7. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    The cheapest one.... if you're asking about the BavTech.

8. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I was looking at BavTech...it only comes with a cord so I assume I install a program on my laptop??

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  10. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Went to BavTech site and looked at the starter guide and I have to say this thing can do everything. Very impressed and it seems relativity easy to do, very straight forward. Thank you for all the help, one last question. I was looking at models this thing works on and since the Mini is a 2010 S model it has the engine R56 correct???? Im a Ford guy and just not used to ONE engine size...

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup R56 is a 2010

12. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I have trouble figuring this thing out I will be back with questions....:D

Thanx again

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Good luck, you'll love it.

14. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, well Im back. I have not bought the code reader yet. Im afraid I have major issues and was hoping that someone could shed some light. It seems my turbo is not working. The car has no power, and still idiling rough. Ive done some research and it seems the oil line for the turbo is know to clog up and give problems. The shop says it could be that OR timing issue. The car has about 85K on it and 10K ago the engines timing chain was making a racket. Found out the tensioner was the problem and everything has been great since Ive replaced it. Im realy leaning towards the turbo since it is not spooling up. Would a clogged turbo oil line give me these issues?? I know that the turbo needs oil and was hoping the turbo is not to far gone..If I replace the oil line will my problems go away?? BTW the oil line does not have a heat shield on top of it...

15. Texchappy

Texchappy New Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Retired U.S. Army Chaplain
    On the Caprock, off my rocker, on the South Plains
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I can't answer your problem Kat - perhaps put up another thread asking for help specially on that issue?

Bavtech says it doesn't work with Macs. Has anyone tried the Lemur Bluetracker?

16. kat

kat New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Marianna, Fla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I will...thanks

17. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    It has the N14 engine. R56 means it is a Cooper S hard top.

2011 and newer, except JCW MINIs, have the N18 engine.

18. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    When you get back to the code reader, have a look at BMWhat by Ivini-apps. They have an iphone/smartphone app and WiFi interface that will read the diagnostic codes on your Mini. I have used the iphone version on BMW's and am about to try it out on my daughter's n18 Cooper S.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What kind of interface/cable do you need?