Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home

Menu

Notices

Sponsor

» Random Garage
Tuner options
COOP

Grizld700

» Ad Links
» Recent Threads
Go to first new post Word Association
72,861 Replies, 1,550,577 Views
Go to first new post Newbie Post
6 Replies, 514 Views
Go to first new post What did you do with your MINI today?
14,789 Replies, 988,407 Views
Go to first new post 2017 - F1
1,068 Replies, 120,353 Views
Go to first new post Mini Onion
7 Replies, 3,889 Views
Go to first new post Soooooo Whatcha Eating?
1,663 Replies, 126,090 Views
Go to first new post Rally Videos
351 Replies, 88,160 Views
Go to first new post Refreshing Rufus - 2005 MCS JCW
203 Replies, 27,791 Views
Go to first new post Can't log in via desktop
63 Replies, 726 Views
Go to first new post MINI/Mini Trailers
148 Replies, 43,714 Views
Advert

» Ad
Sponsors

Likes Likes:  11
Unread 07-03-2016, 04:42 PM #1
Stage 2

Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 106
Stage 2

Tuner options/problems

For those of you following the fliver build thread you know that I opted to remove my maf sensor and change the configuration of my intake under the advice of jmtc.

I opted to go this route to remove the restrictive plumbing and shorten the intake path to the turbo. I am running a ported 47mm turbo.

JMTC uses Dyno comp in AZ to load their tunes and I have been far less than impressed with the situation over there. Let's just say pissed to put it lightly.

Jmtc is great to deal with but the shop he is using for this particular service is complete crap. Maybe their tunes are great, if you can get them to load the correct one...

The last time I sent my ecu in Dyno comp lost the box which was located 5 days after they received it. I paid overnight shipping to get the ecu back before the holiday weekend and when plugged in the car ran worse than ever before. It actually seemed to run stronger before I sent my ecu. Lmfao. I also felt wierd at the time covering the extra shipping costs on behalf of their mistake but I did it anyway as I need the car.

When I called Dyno comp directly to find out where my brain was, they seemed genuinely irritated that I was not communicating through Arric from jmtc, and made sure to tell me to contact jmtc instead of them with any questions....

At first I didn't think it was the tune because it had some coils/plugs problems which has since been worked out and the remainder of the engine bay has been replaced. Literally. I know it's not a mechanical issue at this point.. Jmtc wants me to throw more money at it and data log but I feel I shouldn't have to spend more money on a data logging setup when they can't get the tune right in the first place. I thought those were for fine tuning and I have mad cels...

The car is painfully slow. I'm talking hella slow. The car runs smooth but slower than it ever has been lol. The turbo is new and sounds/blows off/ functions as it should. It just boosts no more than stock... And takes longer to spool...

The car also threw multiple MAF sensor related codes and the same cat less exhaust cels as before.

None of the prior exhaust codes were deleted either. I think they just shipped me back the same ecu with no tune... I would bet that if you guys un plugged your maf the car would run like mine...

The fact that I have MAF codes when there is no MAF in the car anymore tells me that the ecu has not even been tuned for the MAF sensor delete "speed density" tune. This type of tune is popular with the M3 guys as it takes pressure readings from the MAP sensor manifold pressure and correlates this to throttle input and rpm.

The tuner from dyno comp will not be in until next Wednesday and my time and patience are running thin. I'm seriously getting tired of f'ing with this car as it has been going on all spring. I'm wanting to find a tuner that can actually get the type of tune I want done in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm a little gun shy sending my ecu back to dyno comp as they are apparently finding it difficult to accomplish medial tasks at the moment, let alone the complexities of a custom, high level tune. Plus I'm going to have to wait until this dude from dyno comp gets back from vacation. Uggh, idk why jmtc has to source this kind of work...

Running a MAF based tune would be a huge ball ache for me as the Jcw intake tube will not fit on the bigger turbo and I would have to re configure the entire intake...

My questions:

-Do other tuners require the VIN number prior to tuning? I never supplied the vin and was never asked for one... I noticed manic requires vins and has a memo stating that "pops and bangs" can not be programmed for some 07 cars depending on the vin. I'm thinking that my car may be one of these "special" 07 models and is somehow preventing dyno comp from loading the tune. Idk, I'm just guessing here.

-Am I the only person you guys have seen with this type of intake setup with the maf delete?

-Are there other tuners that can tune without maf sensor plugged in? Suggestions?

-Would an OEM car run with the MAF unplugged? When I plug my maf in outside the intake setup the car dies instantly.

-I'm thinking about just going with manic and saying ftw. The only problem is that I heard they kill knock sensors and emergency fuel cut function.

-I chose jmtc because they claim to keep emergency safety features such as knock sensors and emergency fuel cut intact for high level tunes, I would prefer this but now it's just like whatever, I just want the car running correctly.

I'm getting flighty because I need the car for my extra curricular riding activities. It's the heat of summer and because of spending so much time on this crap, I'm in the worst shape I've ever been for a riding season. I am dangerously out of shape. I am truly at the point of parking the car until winter and buying a cheap ass S10 that works for the summer...

Something tells me that if I'm patient I can get dyno comp to tune my car correctly, maybe they have too many g63s in there to care about my little fliver at the moment... I'm just curious if I'd be better off throwing my money at someone else... If I made it rain on a stripper at least I wouldn't be all pissed off afterwards..

There has to be other shops that can handle this type of tune although jmtc is the only one I could find... Not many ppl running pressure tunes on minis I guess.

I'll call eurotech on Tuesday to see what they have to say, I was just looking for some advice/opinions from people's experiences to see if there are any other options than Manic. Preferably with a similar setup although something tells me that not many ppl are doing this. Edit: the euro guys don't even have maf sensors so maybe a euro tune or something?
Attached Images
Tuner options-image.jpeg 

Last edited by Guapish_Fliver; 07-03-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Guapish_Fliver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2016, 11:12 PM #2
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Most time when people take on a build of this size they go with a stand alone ECU like a ViPEC and have it tuned by Jan of RMW. Manic is just staged can tunes and not really custom.

Esoteric Detailing Supplies http://www.esotericcarcare.com/

05 MINI JCW "The Mistress"
RMW Powered, Helix built w/ Meth
Helix: http://store.helix13.com
Greene Performance https://www.greeneperformance.com/co...formance-parts
RMW: http://www.revolutionmini.com
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2016, 12:12 AM #3
Stage 2

Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Most time when people take on a build of this size they go with a stand alone ECU like a ViPEC and have it tuned by Jan of RMW. Manic is just staged can tunes and not really custom.
Oh no...

I was told my OEM brain could handle up to 25 psi on a vacuum driven waste gate.

I'm not a huge fan of the canned tunes either. Manic seems a little big for his britches and I'm not sure the installers can accommodate my little poop stain. They are after all, at the mercy of whatever tunes nick sends them... I'm sure OBW will chime in, I think he's running Manic "stage 4" or whatever. Except he's on manual boost control and a pressure driven waste gate...

I just want something that runs for now and am willing to take a trip and fiddle around with the real "custom" tunes later this winter or something.

The car is such a dog right now it stinks. It sure sounds like it's doing something wild but it's not.

I should re name my build thread "blue balled fliver Guap cost"

Maybe I should ditch the go fast idea and throw a giant wing and rims on it (fart)

Last edited by Guapish_Fliver; 07-04-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Dave.0 liked this post
Unread 07-04-2016, 10:32 AM #4
Stage 6

Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 8928
Tuner options
Stage 6

Tuner options
[QUOTE=Guapish_Fliver;369117]For those of you following the fliver build thread you know that I opted to remove my maf sensor and change the configuration of my intake under the advice of jmtc.

If you removed your maf sensor the ecu doesn't know how much air is flowing into the engine so it can't regulate the injectors for the proper A/F mixture. My guess is the ECU has reverted over to the "Limp Mode" fail safe which allows you to get home without destroying the engine. Limp Mode = Carpy Performance but keeps you from being stranded out in the dark woods during a winter blizzard kinda thing....

-Am I the only person you guys have seen with this type of intake setup with the maf delete?

Nope.... Duell makes their Erloser system...

Click the image to open in full size.

https://youtu.be/UPcUY_oMgaU

I believe the stock 2nd gen MINI's sold in certain countries eliminate the maf sensor but not in the US and Canada due to emission requirements.

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM #5
Stage 2

Stage 2

The funny thing is that the car has not mentioned limp mode this time. I've been in limp mode before and it,is always associated with a little icon in the dash..

Do you think it's alright to drive like this? Without proper a/f mix am I going to destroy o2 sensors or something?

I would have to imagine it reverts to a rich mix to be safe.

It seems obvious the car has not been tuned whatsoever. I don't think I need to buy a data logger to tell me that. Lol.

Last edited by Guapish_Fliver; 07-04-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Unread 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM #6
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Who is JMTC ?

I would call Jan and ask him for advice. (949) 464- 7691 (RMW1)

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes MCS02 liked this post
Unread 07-04-2016, 01:02 PM #7
Stage 2

Stage 2

Arric Johnston Jm turbo coopers = jmtc
Unread 07-04-2016, 01:15 PM #8
Stage 6

Tuner options
Stage 6

Tuner options
Yup...

What Dave.0 said...

But you need to have a good engine as a starting point if you want Jan to work on it...

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM #9
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Helix & RMW Powered

Tuner options
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapish_Fliver View Post
Arric Johnston Jm turbo coopers = jmtc
Never heard of them.

Unread 07-04-2016, 01:39 PM #10
Stage 2

Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Never heard of them.
He does good turbo/machine work as far as I can tell, and his refurb turbo prices are the best I could find.

The installer he's using for the tunes is a clown. I'm not sure he has a clue.

I don't mind calling people out on their bs (dyno comp) Especially if they won't deal with me directly.

Here's a link for my snail if you want to scope jmtc

http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/GT-Dom...urbo-GT28.html
Likes Dave.0 liked this post