Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Clutches & Flywheels...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by flatlander_48, Sep 3, 2016.

1. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Mechanical Engineer, retired
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting ready to replace the clutch and flywheel in my R55 fJCW. I bought the car new, so the current 50,000 miles have been essentially mine.

Anyway, the possibilities are the OEM setup, the SACHS branded clutch and dual-mass flywheel, an OSGiken GT or STR and ClutchMasters Stage 1 or 2. Research indicates that SPEC and Valeo should drop off the list as they seem sort of + and -.

What I would like to wind up with is a better setup than the factory parts in terms of durability, but with about the same feel and pedal effort compared to the original parts. I would characterize my driving as "spirited" with maybe a few track days.

One concern is increased noise from units with single mass flywheels. Most of the accounts that I've seen are ~2 years old or older, so I'm wondering if that is still the case.

So, with these considerations in mind, what are the thoughts and experiences of the members here?

Thanks!

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    How many miles ore on your current clutch? My 05 MCS JCW have almost 100k on it?

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I was going to ask the same thing as Dave. I have 148k on my mini still the original clutch. I am planing on putting a Valeo in it soon. I have installed one in a friends R53 and I really like it. I drive very spirited and am sure the Valeo is all my R53 needs. As fair as noise goes I thought the Valeo was just as quiet as the stock setup. Also my duel mass flywheel makes lots of noise, I can't wait to get rid of it. Also the single mass is much lighter. Is your clutch slipping?

4. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My signature says: 2009 factory JCW Clubman...

Anyway, under normal driving the problem isn't noticeable. However, under hard acceleration at speed (such as getting onto an expressway) the tach will swing wildly back and forth and if you continue for a bit there is the smell of burnt friction material. It also has the Chewbacca groan when engaging the clutch from rest. This is my 8th vehicle and none of them have been automatics. Of the previous 7, I've replaced 1 clutch (on an Isuzu Trooper at ~140,000 miles).

The first 2 years or so of Gen 2 JCW's do seem to have a higher than normal incidence of premature failure; 2009 and '10. It doesn't seem to be epidemic, but it does happen. I think 2011 is where the N18 engine starts and it appears that they don't have the issue. By the way, the 2009 and '10 engines are the N14 and the clutch diameter is 228mm. The N18 clutch has a diameter of 235mm. Interesting...

I will be talking to a distributor for OSGiken tomorrow as I'm leaning towards the GT model with the "soft diaphragm". The rating for those gives a good safety factor over stock and that should translate to longer life. Feel and pedal effort evidently are close to OEM, which is a consideration to me.

I have not noticed any problems specifically related to the dual-mass flywheel. However, that will be one of the discussion topics regarding the OSGiken. A single-mass flywheel is an integral part of the package and I understand that some people experience increased noise when using the clutch.

5. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    "I will be talking to a distributor for OSGiken tomorrow as I'm leaning towards the GT model with the "soft diaphragm". The rating for those gives a good safety factor over stock and that should translate to longer life. Feel and pedal effort evidently are close to OEM, which is a consideration to me.

I have not noticed any problems specifically related to the dual-mass flywheel. However, that will be one of the discussion topics regarding the OSGiken. A single-mass flywheel is an integral part of the package and I understand that some people experience increased noise when using the clutch."[/I]

Buy a JM Turbo coopers solid flywheel and clutch setup. period. The OS Giken is a race part and as such street durability is questionable. The first one we installed had a disc worn to the rivets in 15000 miles. That customer insisted on another, and it was gone in 16000 miles. We then put in the JMTC and after 30k it continues to work nicely. The JMTC stuff is very nice, lasts long and feels great. We are installing another one today. I have installed and then subsequently removed two other OS Giken units due to noise, overall crappy feel and premature wearout.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    50K is way early for a clutch but then again it is a second gen. I have a friend that had 3 clutches done under warranty by MINI under 50k miles so anything is possible.

With OS Giken you should be good to go.

7. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Which model are you speaking about as there are several...

8. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    doesn't matter-NONE will live in a street driven car-they are race parts, regardless of what their advertising and sales people say. and when you call to complain about the short disc life, they simply tell you EXACTLY THAT then hang up.
    IF you have to have one of them, like the two customers who paid me to install then remove them, expect ZERO customer service after they take your money.

We have installed DOZENS of the JMTC clutches, fantastic customer service, nice parts that WORK for reasonable money.

9. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused. You said "worn to the rivets", but they bond. They don't use rivets as I understand.

10. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    OK worn to the steel backing-nothing left-car wont move-nada-zip-"sorry thats a race part, no warranty"

Im trying to save you the grief and expense of replacing that thing twice-search my other posts on clutches to see why yours is slipping-the dual mass flywheel is failing and killing the clutch. IF you install an OS Giken clutch in an R56 series MINI, you will get to do it again.

11. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I suspect that a considerable part of the problem can be put down to technique. You don't drive them like OEM parts. I've adjusted to some pretty different cars in my time, so this doesn't bother me that much.

However, there are no guarantees with anything. My original clutch actually started going at 40,000 to 45,000. It's only because I have been extra careful that I'm close to 51,000. Do I expect miracles? No, I don't. But I do know that aggressive driving kills the OEM parts quicker than race quality parts.

12. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I think people destroy the OS clutches because they dont know how to work a clutch.

13. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

Sounds like most every IT department with which I've ever been associated: Blame the user loudly and incessantly to distract folks from noticing poor design or shoddy execution

Sent using Tapatalk

14. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, except in some cases it is true.