Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Manic Tune on a 09 JCW Questions.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by haliphics, Jun 13, 2017.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I'm about to go and tune ny JCW this week to a stage one manic tune. But I have a couple question before I do it.

1. Does stage 1 tune cause the exhaust to shoot flames periodically?

2. Should I just get an intercooler and go stage 2 since I already have a catless dp and can.

3. Does BBQ mode come on stage 1 or is that strictly a stage 2 and up thing?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I can't answer your questions but my JCW coupe has a RMW tune on it and it is very nice. Mark (CHKMINI) the previous owner had it done. Jan at RMW has a very good reputation.

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #3 Qik, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    I'm quite sure that the only thing(s) needed is a clear path to the tail pipe to shoot flames. My 80' Z28 was headers straight thru some cherry bombs and it would shoot flames, my 68' C10 was set up the same way and could shoot flames. Get rid of your cat's and get a high flow muffler and I'm sure you could shoot some as well. As for the Manic tune, if I were in your situation I'd avoid it and go RMW. I'm sure a bigger intercooler would be necessary if raising boost since the factory does a fair job at best on stock boost.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not many here run Manic canned tunes. We have tunes by RMW which are custom tunes done for each car on a dyno most times.

5. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    1. Does stage 1 tune cause the exhaust to shoot flames periodically?

No

2. Should I just get an intercooler and go stage 2 since I already have a catless dp and can.

Yes. I recommend a larger FMIC regardless of level of tune. Stage 2 also lowers coolant temp from 225 to 185.

3. Does BBQ mode come on stage 1 or is that strictly a stage 2 and up thing?

No. Stage 2 and up. I usually try and talk clients out of BBQ mode. Some people really want it even though it places more load on the turbos thrust bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
  7. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean about talking then out of it and the excess stress?

8. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

When in sport mode even on the factory tune the pops and bangs you hear are unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system after the turbo. This creates a back pressure pulse in the exhaust that pushes on the turbine wheel. Back pressure whether from the cat or exhaust creates load on the 360 bearing under normal circumstances. Add pops and bangs and you increase that load. The more aggressive the bangs, the more the load, and you can't get much more aggressive than BBQ without implementing true anti-lag. True anti-lag retards timing greatly to hold rpm steady without reducing fueling. This results in the fuel igniting in the exhaust manifold keeping the turbo spooled. Anti-lag and journal bearing turbos are not things that typically play well together.

The other reason is that several of my clients that selected BBQ have admitted to me later on that they wished they hadn't. Usually because while they enjoyed driving in sport before they could rarely use it now due to the extra noise it generates. In fact every client that's gone from Stage 2 BBQ to Stage 3 has left the BBQ mode out.

If you don't use sport mode on a regular basis and just want the flames for the occasional razzle dazzle then it might be right for you. Just want to make sure you have enough information to make an informed decision.

Lou
    Prototype-R

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Actually THIS is the best IC out there for Gen2 MINI's and Tyrol Sport is also a supporting vendor, not that Helix isn't fantastic and a great group of guys but, this IC has the best numbers out of anything offered by anyone including almost double the price :
    http://www.tyrolsport.com/performance-cooling/tyrolsport-mini-cooper-s-r55/r56/r57/r58/r59-front-mount-intercooler/

10. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    ^ Dave.0: Over to you...

Sent using Tapatalk

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    :lol::lol::lol:

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Get a real tune from RMW or add your car to the list of many Manic cars that are broken down. :lol:

13. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    RMW is too far for me and I daily drive my mini. So I'm instead going to a really well known tuning shop near me called BrennTuning. Especially since a dyno tune and manic are the same price.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1. Jan does remote tunes.
    2. I daily drove my car every day with an RMW tune for years and still would if my office did not close and now I work from home.

Manic is not the same as RMW in any way.

15. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How does RMW do a custom dyno tune with just an remote ECU flash? Don't you need the entire car to do a dyno tune? And I mean I daily my car so I thought RMW you had to send in the ECU and put the car out of commission for a little.

16. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    It seems to be a common misconception that all Manic tunes are canned. They are not, it is just the most common route taken for convenience. As long as the dyno shop / remote tuner has good data logging tools you can do a remote tune. Jan does this very well and other tuners offer the capability. I've done the same with Manic. I just have to start early because of the five hour time difference between here and the U.K.

I'm not familiar with Bren on the Mini but as long as they keep the AFR's rich (11.5 on the top end), use reasonable timing and don't zero out the MAF you should end up with a good tune.

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

You set up a time to have JAN / RMW remote tune your car. You find a local shop with a dyno and you do a few pulls and the data gets sent to JAN and he tunes your car and sends back the tune and you do another pull so see the results and send the file back to JAN.

18. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What would the rough price for a tune done by Jan be and how do I find out what shops can do it. I chose brenn since they're really well know and spoken about in the new england area (most for their BMW, GTR, and WRX/STI tunes)

19. Tigger2011

Tigger2011 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Male
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    For pricing you'll have to call Revolution and ask Jan. Don't forget the dyno time and local tuners fees will be over and above unless the remote and local tuner already have an agreement on fixed pricing. Getting everything dialed in can take two or three tries. Every dyno tune starts with a canned tune based on your mods and what the tuner knows to be safe. Then it's dyno and adjust, lather, rinse, repeat.

Whatever you do, do NOT dyno tune for max power on an inertia type dyno. Ensure the local tuner has an eddy current type dyno as you can vary load. If one is simply not available you'll have to supplement with road testing between adjustments.