Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Clutch and flywheel

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by west7, Mar 7, 2015.

1. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Over the past week or two, I've noticed my 6spd r53 begin to not want to go into gear and through some basic diagnostic determined that the clutch and or flywheel and possibly throw out bearing were on their way out. I tore the mini down to better examine the clutch and flywheel and found that the clutch side of the factory flywheel can rotate a bit before the engine side of the flywheel will move. Presuming that it is bad and I need a new clutch/flywheel assembly, would you guys/gals recommend the valeo single mass conversion kit or a Luk dual mass kit. How much more NVH does the valeo kit have?
    Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I recommend the conversion if your flywheel is failing. If you hear a chirping sound when you start from a dead stop in 1st gear, then the flywheel is jammed and you'll need to address it. If your flywheel is still good (after visual inspection), I recommend a stock replacement (Luk or Valeo) clutch kit. Also replace the guide tube, and budget for trans fluid. We charge $950 for the labor and the parts are a little over $300.

While you're at it, If you haven't done polyurethane control arm bushings, do them at the same time. There's labor efficiency there.

Eric

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    and that ^^^ is why I only take my car to HELIX. :Thumbsup:

4. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    How much addition NVH does the valeo kit add? Do you see many replace a failed dmf with a new dmf, or is that like asking to tear your MINI down again?

5. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I had the control arm bushings replaced with factory units 2 years ago. Is it still worth going to poly bushings now or would you wait for these to wear out?

6. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    If they're still good, might as well wait, but you won't have to wait long.

7. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I didn't notice any added NVH with the valeo kit but the engagement was noticeably different. The valeo wasn't as dampened as the dual mass. Not bad just some getting used too.

8. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Noticeably different in what way? Simply lighter or different in another way? Not as dampened in regard to pedal feel or vibration?

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I've done several of the Valeo solid flywheel clutches for club members and every one I've done is extremely happy with it....they say they can't tell any difference in NVH, and the clutch is lighter and engages smoother - so no complaints of any kind.

10. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    similar to minidave comment. smooth for me equals quick to engage. I'm happy with it and would do the entire thing again. Actually I think I'd rather change out the clutch than repeat R&R door regulator and motor -- man thats a real PITA. :mad2:

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The best/worst comment I got was that it feels like a Honda clutch, light, easy to modulate and smooth engagement.

12. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! Went ahead and ordered it and hope to put it in this weekend. Any things to watch for or is it pretty straight forward? Also, is they a good way to check the clutch hydraulic system for weakness or air so as not to have a potentially weak part harm my new clutch...... (I've been told the slave cylinder is common failure item but not yet had to replace one,knock on wood :).)

13. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I think you'll be happy with the Valeo kit as it's a great kit for the R53.

For the clutch hydraulics. DON'T disconnect it when you do the job. Just unbolt it from the trans hang it out the way and MAKE SURE your buddy doesn't push the pedal. It will save you a ton of time not having to bleed it.

14. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! The install was pretty straight forward and very reasonable. I made sure not to touch the clutch peddle nor to disconnect the slave cylinder. So far I'm really liking it. I'm still breaking it in of course, but it's very smooth, predictable, no irritating noises, little to no added vibrarion, ect.... The peddle is very light compared to a worn oem, but it is very nice. Thanks for the great advise! Now to decide on struts....! :)