Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S R53 Software Version Info

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Red Bull, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is there any way to verify what engine management software version is on your car through the displays on the speedo or NAV? Had the dealer load the 210 JCW Tune a few months ago and was curious how it can be confirmed.

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    No real way I know of....
    Not without some real equipment.... Even then...

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    BMW diagnostic reader is needed.

4. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Factory BMW/MINI tester, or something like NCS Expert?

5. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    If you just want to make sure that you are up to date go to the dealer and they can tell by using your key in this reader they have.

6. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So anytime your ECU is flashed your key is updated with the info? Is that how the dealer would know if you had an aftermarket tune, and my key should now show I have a factory JCW tune if they read it?

7. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Aftermarket tuners modify the software on YOUR ECU, then reupload it...
    So the version number will be the same...but the maps are modified....
    So just having a version number of the factory tune is not really a surefire way to know....
    And gen1 keys DO NOT STORE INFO.....that is a gen2 thing (99% sure..gen1 keys do a a tiny RFID chip, for antitheft, but don't store data)....
    Having the most current factory software is no guarantee of the best performance...
    At one point in the gen1 cars life, around 2005-2006, tons of different software versions were coming out to fix things like yo-yo....some versions worked for some cars, but the same version would make others worse....so my dealer said, if your car works fine, we will not touch it...heck some folks (often in gen2 cars) often complained new software reduced performance as things were adjusted to try to control warrenty costs relateded to carbon and timing chains.....
    The reality is, new features, etc were not added...the version changes are not like tech updates......don't get update happy IMO...if it runs good, be happy!!

8. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Gen 1 keys DO store info. I recently had my clutch replaced at a dealership and that was one of the notes written on my repair sheet. " Could not read key because customer supplied spare key for service work." The key with the built-in keyfob does indeed store information.

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Correct. waaaay back when I used to go to the dealer for my free maintance service that was always the first thing they'd do is plug it in to get a print out..

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I don't believe the key actually held any info, it simply told the computer what car it was and it looked in the MINI database for the car and whatever service was done by a dealer.

11. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    yup...
    shame how often dealers mix up info....
    think how useless it would be if a husband and wife share a car, using two keys....:idea: maybe the dealer who had a car in the bay should have plugged INTO THE CAR rather than complain about a customer using a "spare key"...and the refresh cars got 2 remote keys and a all plastic emergency key (even the shaft was plastic)....which one of the two identical keys are the "main" one...they even said to rotate keys if you only had one driver too keep them charged......