Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mini tractor!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by F0ggy, Apr 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. F0ggy

F0ggy New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well sorry for this being my first post... I've been reading and searching tons for all my mini issues and mods. Looking for a second opinion on this one...

2003 MCS 116,000km M7-16% K/N air. 0W-40 Euro grade synthetic. Avg temp (Canada) 15C

So I have this loud clack thats in time with the valve train. Pulled my front clip, super charger and valve cover to investigrate... (Yes, Investigrate...)

Video: https://youtu.be/8YkoXMWTfKQ

Serpentine belt (tensioner) is fine. No rattle or oscillation.

Harmonic balancer is fine. Stethoscope has no noise in that area.

Super charger oil was full and clean. Gears looked perfect.

Checked water pump, seems good.

Pulled timing chain tensioner, moves freely with no grit or grind. Reset and reinstalled.

That left me with valve train... Peaked into my cam shaft and noticed extreme wear on all four exhaust cam lobes with a bit on the intake lobes. Pulled the cam and found 0.5mm of wear! (See photo)

Found a new cam locally with less than 500km on it. Checked specs on rockers and inspected all lifters, rollers and cam bearing surfaces. Everything checked out great so I installed the new cam hoping that would be the end.

Fired it up and had the same noise (if not a bit louder...) Figured it needed to warm up fully...

350km later and its still just as loud!

So my options now seem to be new rocker assembly mainly just to replace the lifters. I would like to avoid this if any one has an opinion on what else it could be?

Blocked oil passage to cam area causing low oil pressure in lifters?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

I would make sure all the oil passages are clear, this could be what started the problem. When was the last time you changed the belt tensioner? If it's been a long time I would put a new one on it. This may not be the problem but I would still change it. you can get a Gates tensioner for 127.

Sorry not much help but more guys will be along soon.