Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S CEL and loss of preset radio stations ???

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Goldsmithy, May 25, 2015.

1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Sat. night while accelerating my '05, R52 S (CAI, DT 15% pulley, Jan tune) I felt a hick-up when the automatic shifted from 1st to 2nd, but it ran fine. I didn't notice the light at first because all of the pre-sets on the H/K system went out...like the battery had been disconnected. Then I noticed the light.

I don't have a code reader yet... I do know that my car spent the first 10 years of it's life in a garage in Key Largo and the outside and the engine compartment is covered in the most God awful film know to man. A combination of fine silt sand and oil vapors. OH, and Chad at DT pointed out where a fuzzy little animal may have made it's home. I was sort of expecting an electrical gremlin or 2 to follow the car home.

Any thoughts or suggestions ???? As always TIA for your imput...

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If you have the original battery buy a new one. Check the connection on the under-hood jump connector. Also check the battery connections at the battery.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing the ground on the engine mount might be in bad shape...since you mention the engine compartment has corrosion, I might clean it up, add some dielectric grease, and see what happens...
    I WOULD pull the code... Write it down...maybe cleaning the ground does nothing, but it might be a simple, cheap fix if the under hood area is as bad as you say....
    Plus one on look at the battery jump terminal, and check the battery...it might be very old...same for the battery's ground terminals and + connection.
    Good luck!!

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I just want to add. Yea what they said.

5. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    You guys were right on. Battery is 4 yrs. old and tests at 12.24 volts. Too low... A new battery for Pepper it is then. And your opinion on an Optima battery??? Worth the money?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I don't have one but I hear they are good.

7. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Mixed feelings...
    Had one for 6+ years...did fine...car did sit for much of the time, no complaints, always started fine. For the $$, could have bought two batteries from NAPA, where I got the replacement....
    Mine did fine (Mexican made), but know of a few folks that had short lived optima batteries....since production moved to mexico vs Colorado, there seems to be more complaints of 3 year lifespans...and now AGM batteries are sold by many companies....odessey, diehard, etc....pretty common battery for many cars now.
    12+ volts in a used battery is a bit weak, but very usable....guess a connection might be bad, but I kinda doubt its you issue...
    If you said 11 volts, might be onto something, but at your voltage, kinda doubt it...
    Maybe there is a bad solder connection in the battery connecting the terminals to the plates...that would account for the sudden loss of radio presets, etc...
    But many places that test batteries just want to sell you one.
    Your battery likely would have failed this summer or fall, granted....but my gut says you have more going on.

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I replaced the battery in my R53 at 3 years with an Optima. It is still going strong for the new owner of my MINI.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    When I get a my next battery it will not be an Optima......had problems with my last 2. Doesn't seem to want to keep a full charge, and yes I have run some diagnostics and doesn't seem to have any parasitic loads anywhere. I think a best quality lead acid is really the way to go.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Love my Optima. Ran it for 5 years with no issues, only took it out to swap to a lightweight 15lb batt.

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #11 Crashton, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    I'm a real fan of AGM batteries no matter what the brand. Don't like to have a wet cell in the boot where a leak will corrode the metal. Seems to me all of these modern cars & that includes the R53 have a fair amount of parasitic loss over time. For a daily driver it is not a big deal, but for a car that sits a lot between play times it can be a problem.

12. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    My two cents:
    Optima moved offshore a few years back. Quality not what it used to be. Used several in my Jeep over the years. First Yellowtop lasted more than eight years. Second one lasted less than four. Switched to Sears Diehard Platinum for the Jeep.

13. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Anybody want to make a bet how long it will take before "Optima JIM" shows up in this post...within a day or two of anybody posting the Optima name on most any board, he pops up...guess he works for their "social media" division...
    My battery did fine...but know many folks who had short life issues...shorter than a standard flooded cell battery as a matter of fact...
    As for AGM batteries, Optima was once one of the only games in town so to speak...but now many companies make them....and no baggage of recent quality issues since offshoreing production (from Colorado to Mexico)which in and of itself is not terrible with some jobs...working in a battery plant must have sucked, and had many health issues...yes moral implications aside.. but the reduction in life and quality since the move IMO IS the issue...
    What say you Optima-JIM?:devil:

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like my Optima red top and have had it for a few years without any issues.

15. aslondon

aslondon Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Retired School District Director of Operations
    Monticello, FL
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have been using DEKA agm batteries in everything, both motorcycles and cars, for years. At last check, they are made here and are actually sold by Oreilly's under their more expensive house brand.

Al

16. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    OK...I wanted to buy an American made battery. Optina was my first choice until I found out that they are now made in Mexico. After that, it is really hard to tell what is manufacturer makes what battery...where. I read a post from a guy claiming that there were a long list of Optima mfgr's (I think they were only dealers). I think he is possessed...

The long and the short of it is that I based my buying decision (of course based on spec's) on the fact that there was a real 'hottie' female clerk at O'Reilly's .

Thanks for all the input. It really helped.

17. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I've had two Optimas die on me and I even have an Optima brand charger

18. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'm an Interstate user and have had very good luck with them in all my vehicles.