Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Smelly Mini

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MCS02, Aug 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    So I have been chasing this problem for some time now. Its been bit sense I have posted about it.

If I take my car to redline in more than one gear it smells like burning rubber.
    I have replaced the belt ,with the one for the 17% pulley, new belt tensioner. idler pulley, and ATI crank pulley. I am putting out 14.5 of boost but the car just doesn't feel as strong as it should.

I have headers and a cheep exhaust on it. I am wondering could it be a bad BPV letting boost by and that is what I am smelling or maybe a clogged exhaust? A few weeks ago I developed an exhaust leak in the piping but I can cover ether tip and it seems to be the same amount of pressure.

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I would look at the header first....
    Look at the flex pipe or slip-joint if so equipped...
    When the motors moves (the stock mount let's it move more than should be allowed if you have a header) the flex pipe (just a spring like piece of metal with a woven metal cover) fails..guess the hot exaust might be blowing on something making the smell...
    The 14.5 on the boost gauge... Has it changed?

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #3 MCS02, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    not sure I didn't look at the boost till this started. After I posted I talked to Chad at DT he said maybe a cat going bad. To also check the belt agin and clutch.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I think "look at flex joint" is good guidance. But, if the flex joint goes, you can usually hear it. Makes the car sound like a tractor.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    So do you see one full hole extending on the metal tensioner tab beyond the body out of the spring?

Do you have the 060532 or 060529 belt?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I will look as soon as it stops raining. I believe it is a full hole. It was hard to get on.

I hate to admit it but it has a cheep exhaust on it, a milltek copy. When you take it to red line it use to spit fiberglass out the back. That has stopped, I think it is all gone. OBX headers and stock cat.

There is a muffler shop I use the guys there are good. I may order a cat and good mufflers and have them build a exhaust. I trust them to do a good job. I believe it will be cheeper to do this then order a full exhaust. But I would like it to be as good or better then what I can order. Cash is tight right now. I still have my stock exhaust, from the cat back, I could put back on but I really don't want to do that.

Also I want to give Chat at Detroit Tuned a shout out for the time he took on the phone with me. We have some great sponsors here.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I have one hole hole showing.:D On the SC belt. I climbed under the car and found that my resonator has a crack where its welded to the pipe.
    So my options for now are take it to the muffler shop and have them re-weld it, although I fear it will brake agin. or put my stock exhaust back on it. I hate to do that and rob power.
    At least for the next few months I can not order a new exhaust.

Still sniffing out the smell.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sure it not a stuck kitteh

[​IMG]

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Rule of thumb without a header, exaust or head work is one psi per % of reduction from stock...
    So a 15% usually flows 15 psi, a 17% 17 psi...a bit lower in both cases with a header, cam, or head work...
    So 14.5 psi with a header might not be bad, especially 800-1000 msl...guessing 17 psi -1 for elevation, then a bit for a header..So I'd guess 15 psi would be right, 14.5 is certainly within the range I think...
    I suspect your cat is ok... Folks usually see very high psi with a melted/blocked cat...
    Me...I'd weld the up the exaust for the $50 if $$ is tight, and do it once later when $$ is less tight...
    Heck..folks even do OK with welding cracked cats when they need too if the welder is good.
    If the belt is more than 1 year old...might be time...at $25 for a belt...pretty cheap.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I am at 340ft MSL but I may not be far off on the boost. When I get back home I will have it welded. The belt is only a few months old. I took my wife for a ride she said it did not smell like rubber to her. as soon as she smelled it I pulled over and opened the hood. I could not smell any oder coming from the belt.

Nathan I sure hope its not a Cat. That would be bad. I have checked all 4 of our cats are accounted for. :D