Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Help on choosing an exhaust.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MCS02, Nov 15, 2015.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Yesterday my long suffering wife and I took my mini to visit one of the kids at college. My exhaust is VERY loud I can not stand it! Part of the problem is the resonator has a crack but still it is a too loud. At highway speeds conversation is imposable. I am trying to chose between the Milltek and Stratmosphere.
    Does any have any experience with either of there?

Genik approved this post

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    When I altered my R53, I considered the two you mentioned along with the JCW. I opted to go with the JCW exhaust, sans the resonator. I really like the tone it has and it's never made the dreaded reverb sound inside the cabin. I'm very happy I made that decision, as I'm well beyond being able to tolerate the sound of an obnoxious exhaust system.

..... I love you're newly developed postscript!

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Where did you get yours? I did not see that as a choice on our vendors. I have not checked eMiniparts.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Milltek. I have a magnaflow up front, and the jcw twin cans in back; someday I'd like to put the milltek split cans in back--they are more flush underneath, and it's 2.5 diameter all the way back.

One thing I'll never do--I'll never try a straight through exhaust again....

5. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #5 Firebro17, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    I found my JCW by pure chance, while cruising the internet. A guy in Colorado had it and a friend of mine hauled it out here on a trip through the Denver area. I only had to give 350 for the whole thing and it was pristine.

6. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    On my 2006 JCW GP, I have had JCW, JCW without Resonator, Borla Sport, and finally Milltek. I like the Milltek for the little extra sound but still very nice in the cabin when cruising. I thought the JCW was too quite. The JCW without Resonator a little to ricey. The Borla Sport too much drone in the cabin. Milltek just right.

From what I understand the Milltek and Stratmosphere are very similar. Get whatever is less expensive.

I you just want a nice quite exhaust the JCW is good if you can find a lightly used one at a good price but it is hard to find a good used one around because the R53s are getting old. A new JCW exhaust will cost about $900.

7. Eric_Link

Eric_Link New Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I don't want an exhaust that is quiet, but I don't want one that drones at highway speeds. The exhaust I have now was droning so loud at 80mph that you could not hear the music or talk. Thats too loud.

9. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like it's gonna be a Milltek then...

10. Eric_Link

Eric_Link New Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the challenge drives at a couple off speeds but at most I can hear the radio fine. It's quieter than when it was first installed. Our maybe I'm losing my hearing. :)

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Yes I believe I will go with the Milltek. I will let you guys know when I get it what I think. Thanks for the help!

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I just LOVE the Milltek on my R53! It's not loud but it sounds great, and the burble is most satisfying!

13. fridayxiii

fridayxiii Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Male
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I'm late to the party, but if you haven't bought one yet, you might consider the Invidia N1. I've had it for nearly three years now...totally love it. Louder & deeper tone than stock but no drone at all. The price was also cheaper than the Milltek or Strat.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Thanks I will take a look at it!

15. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    A month late, but Milltek all the way, I get compliments from others,when I pull into gas stations. It's not loud and has a decent sound for the car.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I thought I would update this thread incase someone els is looking for an exhaust.

I planned on the Miltek but after talking to the guys at Detroit Tuned went with their recommendation of using the Stratosphere.

I could not be any happier! My old exhaust was very loud and droned so load that I would have to have my radio up a little over half to hear the music. This is with a Alpine head unit and a sub!! My hearing is bad, (soon to get hearing aids they are the price of a RMW stroker I need to rethink my priorities), so I had a lot of trouble having conversations in my car. On long trips the Mini was painful.

The Stratosphere has a good note and NO absolutely NO DRONE! I can now hear conversations and turn the music way down.

It was easy to install. I did it late one afternoon with little daylight left. I know this was not smart but I had a lot of peer pressure, you know who you are. The exhaust tips touched the bumper. once I had daylight I climbed under the car to see what I had done wrong. I called DT and was told some time you have to bend the hangers on the car down a little, duh, I felt like a idiot for asking. So I reached under the Mini and bent them by hand, perfect fit.

The unit its self is very well made and comes with every thing you need to install it.

I want to once agin thank DT for all their help. I know I could have ordered this system direct but I wanted to support the people that supports us. Chad works his but off at the Dragon and has help me a few times there.

We have several other sponsors here that really support us so if someone is reading this to buy an exhaust, or other part, I would ask you use one of them

17. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out.

18. MiniKar

MiniKar Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nevada
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How many hours for removal of the old system, and then how many hours for the install of the new system ???

Glad you posted, as I was thinking Alta as it looked like an easy install but the sound clips are way too loud for me and I don't like giving a reason to the police to be stopped because they think its too loud.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    It took about 40 minutes to get the old exhaust off because a couple of the rubber hangers gave me a fit sliding them off. The install was fast, maybe 30 min.

I would not go with the Alta

20. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1

Quoting and agreeing with our favorite curmudgeon "It ALTA work....but it doesn't."