Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Got my new SC on the bench... Anything I should do with it prior to install?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by armybuck041, Nov 1, 2016.

1. armybuck041

armybuck041 New Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Fellas,

My first post here on the forum. Go easy on me :)

I recently took possession of a 2002 MCS with approx 195,000KM on the clock. Total cost invested to get it in my possession including the car hauler rental and gas was $700 CAD.

It was sold to me with confirmation that the supercharger was toast, the transmission was VERY stiff shifting, and the "Trifecta" of warning lamps was lit. Otherwise, aside from a well worn drivers seat, the car looks great.

So, in preparation to get this thing rolling again, I managed to find a nearly brand new supercharger and had a 15% pulley installed on it. Aside from that and changing the oil, is there anything else I should consider doing with it prior to installation?

Thanks!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    The SC no I can't think of anything sounds like you have done what is needed. I would replace the belt tensioner, idler pulley and check the crank pulley. If the crank pulley has cracks in the rubber I would replace it with a ATI pulley. You will need one step colder sparks plugs (BKR7EIX) and the shorter belt fore the SC pulley. The Trifecta of lights is probably the left front wheel speed sensor. I don't know why but thats the one that goes out most often. With that kind of milage if the control arm bushings have not been changed I would install new ones. Use the PowerFlex bushings they will last a long time.

Welcome to MA!

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    ^^^ +1 on the very good answer received and Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the interweb !!

4. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Simpsonville, South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You might also replace the crank position sensor o-ring as it will be exposed once you get into front end service mode and have the radiator out of the way. +1 on MCS02's recommendations as well.