Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Clutch starting to slip in higher gears

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Ujin, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Simpsonville, South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So, it is clutch time. I have decided to replace the clutch with the Valeo kit, instead of a stock setup. The prevailing opinion on the interwebs appears to favor this option. I was also going to dive into the transmission and replace the open differential with a Quaife LSD. Sadly http://detroittuned.com did not have one in stock. They also did some hunting just to try and fill my order from another vendor, no luck. As I do not want to wait a month to do the clutch, I may be forced to not do the differential. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with the Torsen T2 (I believe it is a 4204 svt part number?) as I am led to believe by the aforementioned interwebs that this part fits my getrag 6speed transmission. Thanks in advance.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No comment on the diff, but I highly recommend the Valeo kit for a Gen 1 car.

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    If you scour the interwebs you may be able find an online store that has it in stock. QDF38Z is what you are looking for. I just replaced my clutch, flywheel, and OEM LSD with the Quaife a couple weeks back. But also bought all my supplies months ago.

4. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/quaife-qdf38z-atb-helical-lsd-diff-limited-slip-differential-mini-cooper-s-6-speed-getrag/ says they have it in stock.

You will also want to buy new bearings for it right away. LM501349 <-- 2 of those. And to get them in place is super simple. Turn your oven on to about 250°F. Let it get to temp, place the bearings in the oven and set the timer for 30mins. They should be good to slip right into place. DISCLAIMER: my diff was sitting outside in freezing temps over night... so you may need to crank the heat up just a touch... Or put your diff in a freezer over night to help.

5. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Went from this...
    [​IMG]

.... to this....
    [​IMG]

The first one I baked at 225 for about 20mins and had to walk it into place with a pin punch and hammer. (Not recommended) The second one was baked as I mentioned above and slid right the h377 on. Just needed to tap the last .020" or so, to seat it on the shoulder 100%.

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Nice tip !!

7. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    I could go super nerd on everyone and explain how came up with the temp... but I'll just say it was a highly educated "guess." That wasn't all that far off. I will say, for safety's sake, you don't want to go above 350°F. Not just for burning your own hands, but for not dicking with the material properties on the bearings.

8. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Savvy I will check this out.

9. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I have the Valeo single mass flywheel & clutch in mine.
    It works great though it does not grab as hard as the dual mass flywheel units.

It is a simpler design so fewer things to go wrong and much less expensive.

10. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Beken, I have gone with the Valeo.

11. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well, I managed to source a Quaife LSD and pulled the transmission, replaced the clutch and flywheel, cracked open the gearbox and installed the differential. Just got it all buttoned up today and took Angus for a spin (going easy on the new new clutchy bits). Wow, the differential really makes it a different animal now in the corners. Absolutely worth the trouble.

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Nice to hear everything went well and it was worth the effort and expense. :Thumbsup:

13. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It went about as well as I expected. Glad it is done. I only managed to damage one thing, the shifter cable bracket exploded while i fumbled with the transmission on the way under the frame. Ordered a new one and had it in a few days. It was pretty brittle and may not have survived remounting the shifter cables. Live and learn.