Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Header install

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by JollyRogrrrr, Apr 6, 2017.

1. JollyRogrrrr

JollyRogrrrr New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Like some input. Thinking of installing a header on my 06 R53. Is it worth the time and money as far as a noticeable power gain. And any recommendations on brand and what exhaust system you are using. Not looking for loud or droning in cab. Thanks in advance

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #2 Dave.0, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    RMW street header or Milltek those are the only two I would buy. Plan to spend a grand for one that will last.

Yes, RMW and Milltek cost a grand but the quality is worth it and the companies back them.

I know they are not as cheep as the eBay $200 cheep steel China made OBX headers with junk flex pipes and questionable CATs and all other crappy headers that fail over and over. Just look at what quality vendors like Detroit Tuned and Helix ( not WMW Wal-Mart Motor Works) carry and you will see.

As for are they worth it, that is for you to decide and what your plans are for the car. the motor is just a big air pump. With a Intake you are putting more air in but if you are still OEM you are restricting it's release.

A header will not make much noise or drone at all it is just providing a larger and smoother path for the air / exhaust to exit the motor.

All the noise and drones comes from poorly made exhaust without resonators.

3. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    #3 clifforddward, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Expanding on Dave.0's comment....the header is just one part of the air pump system....on a R53 the supercharger is capable of greater pumping with a new pulley, but to gain maximum benefit one should look at a cold air intake (CAI), enlarging or at least smoothing the exhaust valves/ports in the head (the JCW head smooths these ports, although they are not opened up in the JCW head), a smoother flowing header, and a less restrictive exhaust. Once that is done, then larger injection jets are in order to provide more fuel for pumping greater volume of fuel/air mixture, along with a re-tune to take advantage of everything. I have done this on my car, and it is a popular all encompassing modification for many others as well...but somewhat pricey as several grand is involved for the whole thing.

As for just header alone, I don't know of any testing to provide a real answer for you...I suspect some improvement, but probably not dramatic.

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ Exactly

Most people only get a header when they get a BVH (Big Valve Head) and a Custom CAM .

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Is this your first mod? If so I say NO on the headers. You will lose low end torque. I would do a pulley first,15% then cat back exhaust, cold air intake. Those mods are the best bang for the buck. Leave the header till you are doing at least injectors and tune.

I have a header on my car and can tell I lost a little low end torque.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Oh exhaust... I have the WMW Stratmosphere, I know Dave.0 does not like it. I planed to buy a Milltek but a vender I trust, DT, told me to get it when I called to order the Milltek. It is a nice exhaust but if you get it plan on doing some major bending on the hangers to make it hang right. One of the inside hangers is shorter than the other. I called WMW and DT and no one knows why. But it does sound nice and other than the hangers is built well.

The advice Dave.0 and clifforddward is spot on.

Ok I do have a OBX header........dont do it..........I did not know better when I got my header. Learn from my mistake.

7. JollyRogrrrr

JollyRogrrrr New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a CAI, 15% pulley and larger intercooler. I knew the header would not cause the drone, but knew an exhaust would be needed to take full advantage. From what you are all saying it would be a waste of time unless prepared to spend a couple grand. That's not in the budget, and with 126,000 miles I sure supercharger rebuild is in my future. So will take your advise, do head porting when time to do supercharger and save till then. Thanks all.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    It's good to have a game plan. :Thumbsup:

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    The Milltek on my '06 MCS is not noisy at all...just has a pleasant "burble'" when backing off the gas. It was well worth the price and was installed just about 10 years ago.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Good idea ^^^^ Don't have a head ported buy one that is already done and trade in your head (Core) for credit.

126,000 is a little late for heavy modding without going through the whole engine, cooling system and SC.

The RMW BVH nicknamed the "Jesus Head" is the best you can buy is CNC machined, flow tested and race tested.

No other homemade hand ported heads (cough Thumper or WMW cough) has ever come close to the RMW BVH's flow and reliability. Yeah they are that good and have been on many cars including mine for years without any issues. That's why the cost about $2850.00 with core change added. Also the exhaust ports are matched to the RMW headers for perfect flow. :Thumbsup:

You can drool over all the RMW parts by looking at Jans / RMW's site below. Just remember R&D and testing cost money and you have to be willing to pay to play. :ihih::lol:

http://store.revolutionmini.com/

11. JollyRogrrrr

JollyRogrrrr New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dave, they definitely have some nice stuff. Wish I lived on that side of town to afford it! :eek:
    Maybe if I live long enough lol, or win the lottery.

12. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I must beg to differ. A RMW header absolutely WILL make your car louder.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
  14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It makes it flow better that's it. The exhaust you choose makes the sound.

[​IMG]

15. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    So you're saying that on any given exhaust mounted to a stock header (doesn't matter which exhaust), replacing the stock MINI header with an RMW header will not increase the dB? Is that right?

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Maybe a few db but not much at all. It's all about the resonator and mufflers.

You know RMW has (2) headers right? Street header and long tube Race header.

The street header is for much better flow and does not really increase the db at all and comes with a CAT the Race one does not.

Do you have either one or first hand experience? I do.

17. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What about the BVH? Will that make a car louder?

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nope. Do you know anything or are you here just posting BS questions?

Come on learn about cars and parts for yourself by buying the parts yourself.

With only 51 posts since April 2014 and you have never started a thread I am guessing you are a troll that like to just stir the pot from time to time.

Go away, you add nothing to M\A.

19. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Just seeing how wrong you can be, and trolling your predictable ad hominem attack. I've had a BVH for almost 3 years now with a shorty and variously: original jcw resonator and rear, Jan's can as a replacement, and a new JCW resonator. The new JCW is a sweet sound like an Indy car, Jan's can is a little deeper, but neither is as quiet as before I got the BVH and shorty.

20. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    #20 _iD, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    I mean, seriously, make up your mind. You also said this "More power makes more noise ....WTF ?" somewhere else. In that same thread, Colin shows that more flow, including over the exhaust valves, equals more noise. Losing your memory in your old age?