1st Gen R53 Cooper S DT BPV = P0171 :(

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by naucrx, Jan 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I tried to search but found only one thread that even mentioned the P0171 code, and it had nothing to do with the DT BPV. :(

I purchased my '05 MCS last summer and it came with a few mods, exhaust, CAI, 15% pulley. I installed a DT BPV to try to eliminate/muffle the CAI whistle and gain a little bit of power, which it successfully accomplished both.

Problem though, ever since I put this thing in I've been seeing P0171 codes. I checked and re-checked the BPV install and don't notice anything wrong. I've reset the ECU several times and it still comes back.

Every instance the SES light comes on I'm cruising on the highway between 65-75 at part throttle, usually on a flat road or up a hill. At the time the code pops up it feels like the car is choking on fuel or air and about to stall. If my foot is into it, the light will not come on, and driving the 15 miles to/from work every day has never once produced an SES.

To my knowledge the ECU has not been modified, and I am uncertain if this can even be tuned out.

Were there any recent (as in last few years) ECU re-flashes from the dealer for my car that might help?

I need to go to Baltimore again next week, and I just know I'm gonna have an SES light on the entire time. :(

Any thoughts on what the problem may be are greatly appreciated :Thumbsup:

Thanks
    ~D

2. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Have you cleared the code with a scanner? If not, maybe you can swing by autozone and ask them real nicely if the will. I don't think they're supposed to.

Other than that I have no ideas. My ses light is still on from my early november install...but not an 0171

3. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    P0171 is a too lean code. The BPV doesn't cause a code unless you get a vacuum leak from miss install. You have reset the codes and the ECU? In OH you should not seen that code normally. i see it from time to time in cars with and without BPV when we take trips into the mountains. i might take it too a shop to see it there are any hidden codes inside they system. give me a call if you need help.

Chad
    Detroit Tuned.

4. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, the code is always P0171. I've had it scanned at AutoZone multiple times and that's the only code that ever shows up on the scanner. I've had it cleared out there several times (they are reluctant to do so), but if I don't make it by the store it usually will go off on its own after a few drive cycles. The last time it came on I was driving up over the mountains in WV, so that makes sense. But I did drive it for 4 or 5 days and 20+ drive cycles before it shut off too.

I'll poke around some more and see if I can't find something loose to tighten up. I am fairly certain that nothing was loose though, but never hurts to go back over it again. If it pops up again I might take it over to MAG and have them look at it.

If I had it to do over I'd still buy the DT BPV; this thing is awesome! :Thumbsup:

Again, I appreciate it guys.

Thanks,
    ~D

5. RussWK

RussWK Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible that the stiffer spring in the DT BPV is causing too much boost pressure to build during cruising when it is not needed, and thus causing a lean condition from too much air? But then again, I would think the computer should adjust. I also think the SC should be pulling very little power - spinning freely (1/3 HP, i.e. practically no boost) unless accelerating.

Just wondering. --Russ

6. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    No, cause you could take the BPV out of the system totally and you will still never get a code. just a hit in MPG. we have several people that Autocross there cars and they zip tie it shut to have full boost asap. they drive it to and from the events with out any problems or codes. so i don't think that the code is being caused by the BPV at all. we did a lot of testing on it back in 2004 when we came up with the fix/mod and have not had any problems up to this point and have not changed the design of it over the years. i still make each one by hand myself. we have made about 1400 BPV to date and we get about 6 calls a year with problems and it's always something else that is causing it, but we try to help the best we can over the phone.

Chad
    Detroit Tuned

7. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I have the DT BPV and have had this code as mentioned above while driving in the mountains.
    I would always just reset it and keep going. Last year while at MITM's I lost all boost going up
    I-70. I traced it back to leaky IC boost, so new boots on and so far no more code.
    In other words your boots may be leaking(?)

8. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Rechecked hoses and everything looks good. I figure it's just the pesky mountains causing problems. At any rate, I found my old Palm III + Pocketlogger (used it to tune my 2G DSM back in the day) to clear my codes out. Thing works like a champ! :Thumbsup:

9. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ah yes P0171...i had that code before...it was the fuel filter...it was gunked up so it wasnt getting enough fuel when i was putting my foot into it on the mountains...got the filter replaced and fine ever since

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm not super familiar with R53s but if it was one of my other vehicles I'd check for a vaccuum leak after the throttle body or like YellowBritishRocket said fuel delivery.

11. S curvz

S curvz Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I know I am reviving a long dead thread, but i was curious if you ever found the route of the issue. My car has been doing this for years now, but only after running for a few hour or spirited driving. Once it cools back to outside them, I can usually run well again.

12. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
  13. nismo4life

nismo4life New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    bump for answers. Anyone else ever encounter this problem? Going on 7 months now and still no solution :(.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Read all the above post as the problem could be many things not one specific thing. Vac or boost leaks, and even old dirty fuel filters.

The problem is not the Detroit Tuned BPV.

15. nismo4life

nismo4life New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I did, and I have done them all Dave. The light came back, and I am at wits end. I don't know what else it could be, hoping other people had this code pop up not relating to the BPV and solved it.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Buy any chance do you have ALTA IC boots?

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    When driving at 65-75 is it a flat spot(it seems to bog down a little if you give it just a little gas) or does the engine start to run bad? All R53 have a flat spot. A pulley makes it more pronounced. I have a 17% pulley, if I'm cursing at about 65 and give it just a little gas I can feel it chock down a little. If I give it a lot of gas it is fine. Do you have cruse control? Perhaps if you do it is trying to make small adjustments where the flat spot is and giving you the code. 65-75 is to slow, drive 75-90 maybe that would be the ticked. :devil:

You may want to check your O2 sensors. one may be going bad. Long shot but possible.

I know you have checked, but check all vacuum lines. there is a lot of them and some are hard to see. When you did the BPV you may have got a small crack in one. I don't mean just the ones going to the valve but all in that area. Check them all. You never know. Also if you have a buddy who you can trust have him look. I say this because I had a problem I couldn't find, one day I was trying to track it down when a buddy was over. He looked down and said hay this wire has a cut in it. I had looked at that wire several times and not seen it.

I live in the flat lands of west TN. Gods country, the good old south. Where men are men, oh sorry I got carried away.:) Anyway when I go to the Dragon I get this code. It happens when I get in to the hills. Thats east TN their different people over there. Is that banjoes I hear? I hope not! I don't know if altitude change may be part of the problem.

Lastly if you can come to the Dragon and have your car looked at there!:Thumbsup:

Long post sorry.

18. nismo4life

nismo4life New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I do Dave. And after 3 smoke tests the car and boots show 0 leaks. I know people like to point the finger at these, and I don't disagree they were a nightmare to get on, and I gouged my first set pretty bad.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok take them off and put a set of OEM flexible rubber ones on. Reset everything and drive it for a while.

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I have them also and suspect they are leaking. Not all the time, only when I run to redline in a few gears. In another post I said I thought I had a slipping belt so I changed a bunch of parts. Some needed it. But I still have the problem. I'm now sure that the Alta IC boots are leaking at the higher boost. I have a 17% pulley.
    I plan on getting rid of them.