1st Gen R53 Cooper S 2003 S Won't Start

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by robertinky, Mar 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. robertinky

robertinky New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello i am new here but i think you all can help me.. my 2003 mini s will not start after stopping to get gas yesterday.. had battery checked, it makes a little 2 sec attempt and that is it.. any suggestions..thanks

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. You say the battery was checked, but MINI's are very finicky when it comes to the electricals.

How old is the battery in the car?

When you put the key in and turn it to just before the start position does the speedo needle do a little dance?

The little 2 second attempt, does it turn the starter?

3. robertinky

robertinky New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it sounds like it is trying to engage the starter, i hadent noticed anything with the speedo..

4. robertinky

robertinky New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry the battery is 4 years old

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Does it jump start ok?

If so, sounds like you need a new battery.

6. robertinky

robertinky New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no it will not jump start.. first thing i tried.. cannot get it to start by pushing and popping clutch..

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Check the jumpstart terminal under the hood. It is located on the drivers side firewall in a small plastic box. These are known to come loose and corrode.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    +1 ^ :yesnod:

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Could be the clutch switch....

nevermind, I see where the car will crank for a sec.

10. robertinky

robertinky New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok it did the speedo dance today still wont start.. what is up with this car???? help..

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you verified the jumpstart terminal is clean and tight..... I'm going to suggest a bad battery. The jumping speedometer is a classic example..... MINI's and their electronics need a good battery.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm a dancing speedo sufferer too...

I'm starting to think it may be an issue with battery quality. About a year ago I replaced my OEM battery that died with one from NTB, the price was right...or was it?

Once it got cooler out the speedo dance started. The car started every time save for one when I had let site for 4 days and it was about the coldest 4 days we've seen this winter. Put it on a charger for about 15 min the locks suddenly did something, don't remember if it locked or unlocked itself. Figuring it meant something was right with the electrical system so hopped where in turn it fired right up.

Took the car up to NTB to have them check the battery, they said all is good, it's the alternator. Drove it around a for a bit to charge things up thinking maybe all the short trips I take took the battery down some.

Called/texted a few MINI techs to discuss, since there is not alternator light lit up on the dash and there are no electrical codes the alternator is not the culprit.

A friendly MoM person lent me a warm place and a battery charger over night. With a full charge the next morning here was no speedo dance.

Over the next week or so my tiny dancer returned, first it was just a wiggle, then a bit more of a shimmy. Eventually it was back to a full break dance feature.

This was a long way to get to ...

What brand of battery is in there that checks out? I'm having thoughts that what looked like a good value might be turning out to not be.

Any one else use a cheap battery and see weird stuff?

13. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    That won't always work, electric fuel pumps ya know.
    I concur with, it sounds like the battery is a goner. I had one (THE OEM) that tested at 12.5 volts with a Volt ohm meter but wouldn't spin the engine, just click once and that was it.
    Did you pull the battery and have it load tested?

14. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    starter motor maybe, dont know if this is an issue with mini's but i had this issue with my old supra and that was the problem.

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Get yourself a new Interstate battery if you're headed down that pathway.

Just my .02.

16. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #16 ZippyNH, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    My educated guess would be the battery has failed, and can give you a bit of voltage, but not enough amps to start the car....bet when you are trying to jump it, the surge of power is going mostly into the battery...some cars with a bad battery (bad cell) might not be jumperable...with typical thin consumer cables...big heavy ones,maybe...
    Bad ground would be similar symptoms, but a 4 year old battery (oem) in a mini is a dead car eaiting to happen....the fact it will not push start may/maynot be useful....the computer/fuel pumps need power enough to boot/run/pump....and push starting a modern car is ill advised at best. One bit of automotive trivia..
    A generator , which makes native dc current, (like on an older car can make power on a dead car if pushed, but an alternator REQUIRES a few volts of power in its field to excite it, and begin to amplify it...it than make what is called wild A/C power....it is then filtered into dc with blocking diodes...
    My suggestions ....temporarily swap the battery with you buddys car, see ifit starts (even if it does notfit right), and it would seem based upon your level of automotive expertise, it might be time for a tow/pro help. Sorry to be blunt,but once the most basic items are ruled out, you need a bit expertise to effectively trouble shoot an issue...anything is possible...from a failed computer to a bad ground wire, too loose plug....all need a bit of knowlege/expertise. Good luck!! Please be sure to post you findings so we help somebody else!!

17. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    +1 Bad battery.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm with Zippy & CHKMINI, check the easy stuff first. My money is on a FUBAR battery.

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had this same problem with an optima red top. It was not a battery problem, it was my fouled plugs. Check coil, wires and plugs and see if you any codes.

20. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    couple things to check....
    battery going flat...if its a stock mini battery check the little bubble for the color...if black replace
    starter...if the brushes are worn down or if the connector is dirty it might not kick over
    alternator...your battery might be fine but if the alternator is bad then no start and when your car was running it ran the battery down
    starter switch...aka key tumber...the key is actually part of a switch...if that switch went then no start
    when you turn the key do the status lights come on (oil,temp,ses,etc)...if no lights that means no power

check the power cables coming off the battery and make sure they arent pinched or damaged...

the needle jump your referring to is when the needle self calibrates upon turning the key in the ign

also check your fuses and relays...get one of those light testers and check to make sure you dont have a blown fuse...i believe also the starter and electrical system that takes power from the battery are some of the green relays(as the relays usually control the bigger and more critical systems like cooling and power) and if they havent been replaced and its a 03 chances are one might have blown...they arent that expensive and it might be a good idea to check them...

for these cars you can go from the battery to the jump post...to the underhood fuse panel to the interior kick panel fuse box to the BCM to the DME...