1st Gen "How To" Cooling Fan Assembly Removal

fan_assembly.jpg
We all know of the wayyyyy too common fan assembly issues with the mini cooper (R50-53) models. I have devised my own assembly removal method...
  1. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #1 BoostCzaR53, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Idk if this has been covered, so I may be beating a dead horse here but if it hasnt, hopefully I can help the masses!

We all know of the wayyyyy too common fan assembly issues with the mini cooper (R50-53) models. I have devised my own method from years of ASE experience and well common sense.

This isnt a HIGHLY DETAILED step by step but it really should help ya out and I can have it all done in under an hour?

Lets begin.

(see following posts) with pictures as well.

SHITTT I TYPOED the TITLE!

2. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #2 BoostCzaR53, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Lets begin here.

Starting with required tools.

Ratchet ( 3/8 preferred, and a 1/4 as well )
    6-10" Extension ( 3/8 )
    8mm socket ( 1/4 inch w/small extension )
    13mm socket ( 3/8 )
    T30 Torx Bit/Socket ( I have a master set, but you can get these at your local parts store)
    Medium length pry bar, or long FLAT head screwdriver
    #2 Phillips Head screwdriver
    Flat Head screwdriver
    Pair of normal pliers
    Pair of Diagonal cutters
    Small catch pan/drain pan/bowl?
    Mini approved coolant, or BMW coolant. I use Pentofrost because I worked with a German technician who supplied me with a bunch of it. Its Audi approved, so I am game for it.

I did all of this without air tools which could have possibly cut about another 5-8 min off my time, but THIS IS ALL HAND POWERED no AIR TOOLS!

3. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Here we go....your basic BONE STOCK 02 MCS! OR R53 as the purists call it.
    imagejpeg_2_12.jpg

Now according to AllDataPro, the service manual calls for over 2 hours to do this, it wants you to remove the radiator and condenser? I think thats quite ridiculous!

We are going to start by pulling the car up on ramps if you have them, jack the front of the car up on jack stands, or like I did just use the driveway timbers as a jack muahahaha!

Regardless if you do raise the front of the vehicle in any manner just make sure its properly secured and wheels are chocked in some manner! I am not responsible for your "I crushed my chest" threads.

Anyways, lets get the front of the car elevated slightly, dont need much. Start with popping the hood first, you are going to want to turn the wheels full lock one direction or other, doesnt really matter so you can reach the 2 bolts that require the 8mm socket.

Reach under the front of the car below the grill, you will find about 8-10 screws along the bottom of the front bumper just below the chin of the front bumper. Mine was missing a few so I had 2 on each corner, and 3 along the front, yours may vary. (see picture for reference)

Take your #2 Phillips head screwdriver and remove these screws!

forumsteps.jpg

4. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Once these screws are removed, you have 4 more left to remove the entire bumper cover!

YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE 2 OUTSIDE 8MM BOLTS, AND THE 2 T30 TORX BOLTS TO REMOVE THE BUMPER COVER FIRST! THEY ARE LABELED IN THE PHOTO BELOW!!! TO GET TO THE 8MM BOLTS YOU MUST GO FROM THE BOTTOM WHICH IS WHY I HAVE THE WHEELS TURNED FULL LOCK SO YOU CAN REACH THEM.

forumstep2.jpg

Once you have removed those, you will be able to pull the front bumper off, you should be able to grab near the center of the bottom and pull upwards and off as it kind of slides into little slots on the top.

Upon removal you will see a metal crash bar, which is not in picture here I already removed it before I took this picture. The 13MM bolts you need to remove to take the crash bar off are labeled in the picture coming.

Before pulling the bumper cover separate of the car you will need to unplug the light bulbs and temp sensor or they will pull out themselves via breaking, or tearing the wires! see picture for reference.

forumsteps.jpg

5. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Here comes the bulk of the hand tool use!

I have circled below in red, forgive me I know the picture references are crude, I have circled the 10 (13mm bolts) that you will need to remove to remove the front crash bar! You will need that extension here!

Grab that extension and that 13MM socket and strap em together! Remove all 10 circled bolts/nuts here, and slowly remove the crash bar to make sure that no harnesses or wires get tangled in it!

forumstep2-1.jpg

6. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Once the crash bar is removed, you are left with this....
    IMAG0115-1.jpg

Now we are to loosen up this fan shroud/condenser/radiator setup.

In the picture shown below you will see 2 circles in red, in these circles will be 2 push pins, just simply grab those diagonal cutters and pull the center pin out, and once it pulls out, pull the whole piece out with the rubber pieces with holes in them that are still present in the picture!

forumstep4.jpg

Now with that done, we need to remove that top radiator hose from the neck of the radiator. My hose has an aftermarket worm clamp on it so I used a screwdriver to take it off, yours might still require pliers because it is the OE squeeze clamp. Be careful to make sure the coolant isnt piping hot when you start to do this, or that there isnt any pressure on the system, if not sure just slowly loosen the coolant reservoir cap to relieve the pressure on the system. Slide that catch can/drain pan/bowl whatever you have handy underneath the passenger front side of the car relevant to the radiator hose position to catch that coolant!

IMAG0116.jpg

Now that you have the radiator hose off, the whole assembly should have some play to it. Try putting your hand on her and softly pulling forward to see if you have the same amount of play as pictured below!

IMAG0118.jpg
    BE SURE NOT TO PULL TOO HARD OR TOO FORWARD YOU WILL KINK OR DAMAGE THE AC LINES POSSIBLY! THE LINES I AM SPEAKING OF ARE PICTURED BELOW! THEY ARE DOWN AT THE DRIVER SIDE BOTTOM CORNER OF THE AC CONDENSER!

IMAG0117.jpg

7. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    If you have this much movement with the fan assembly then YOU ARE READY TO REMOVE THE FAN!

I dont have a good picture shot of the clips so bare with and use common sense and good vision to see these on your own vehicle. THEY ARE CIRCLED IN RED BELOW!

Take that handy prybar or long screw driver and pry those clips at the bottom of the fan assembly open so the fan assembly should slide straight up and out of the car! UNPLUG THE FAN OBVIOUSLY! REMEMBER: THE BOTTOM CLIPS ONLY NEED TO BE PRIED OPEN SLIGHTLY, THE TOPS ONLY SLIDE STRAIGHT UP!

forumstep5.jpg

IF THIS HAS ALL GONE CORRECTLY FOR YOU, THEN YOU HAVE THAT OLD FAN ASSEMBLY OUT AND HAVE A NEW ONE READY TO GO IN, OR HAVE THAT NEW RELAY READY TO WIRE UP!

For installation just reverse removal procedure, and be sure to tighten the radiator hose back up and properly fill the reservoir off and bleed the coolant system for a few minutes, WITH THE HEAT ON FULL BLAST TO AVOID HEATER CORE AIR BUBBLES! The upper radiator hose has a bleeder screw in it as you can see in the picture of the radiator hose I have in this thread!

ANY QUESTIONS DONT HESITATE TO ASK! THIS TOOK ME AN HOUR TO DO WITHOUT AIR TOOLS!

HAPPY MOTORING!

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Great write up BoostCzarR53! :Thumbsup: Thanks this one is a keeper.

Nathan this one should be in the How-to Library.

9. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I know its not perfect, or completely detailed and neat but I figure if I can save some people some time why not lol.

Thanks.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the article!

It is now the featured article on the Motoring Alliance Home page.

For my next trick I'll add it to the Library Index page.

12. dashdespatch

dashdespatch New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cheap fan

This might help anyone with this problem bought a brand new dual stage fan off the internet for just £72 inc VAT and delivery from a company called Autodoc ok the parts come from Germany but i had it in 4 days! I`ve seen second hand ones on Ebay for more!

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    First post. Welcome to MA!