1st Gen R53 Cooper S Battery Light Illuminated,....Alternator and Battery test GOOD

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Canusrufis, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    05 MCS w/ 81k, bought it Nov 2013 and been running great up to this point.

Had a similar experience as panaphobic, here: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/11024-battery-light-no-power-steering.html#axzz2w0DWd5kT

Battery Measurements: meter across +/- battery terminals

no connection, out of the car: 12.67V
    Connected, car idling: 11.8V
    Connected, car @2500rpm: 11.54V

Pulled the alternator, looked original, and it tested GOOD according to Autozone test bench. Battery tested GOOD too. I've had problems with false negatives from auto zone in the past so purchased a new alternator from WMW for good measure and peace of mind -- keep the old as a backup.

With the new alternator installed and GOOD battery the battery light stayed illuminated. ugh.

Started tracing through the connections; jump post connection ok, under bonnet fuse box connection ok. all the grounds I could find seemed ok.

Turned my attention to PS pump wondering if it was causing a load on the battery. unplugged it. bamm battery light off. plug it back in and battery light comes back on again. Does this mean the PS pump is gone?? :frown2: The crazy thing is maybe the battery isn't taking a charge -- even thought it's GOOD -- and when the PS pump is plugged in the voltage drop is too low throwing the battery light. My logic there is metering the battery while the car is running can watch the voltages tick off every few seconds going lower , lower , lower to a point with car running a good 15-20min, turning it off and disconnecting the battery the voltage reads 12.2V. IOW it isn't taking a charge although its a GOOD battery.:confused5:

Anyone else have a similar experience? Maybe just take a bath ($$) and try another battery?

Thanks for the help!

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Check the connection in the jump stud terminal box on the firewall. This connection has been known to come loose or corrode causing what on the surface looks like alternator issues.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ....and for some good news the PS pump is covered under an extended warranty from MINI. Complain about the pump to a dealer and get it replaced.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    One more thought.......you would not be the first one to have a chafed battery cable....look...and maybe feel for heat along the battery cable run...

5. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Smells like cooked crank pulley! Check it, when it goes, alternator & PS pump won't work. If so, go ATI or PRW.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    How do you know the battery is Good? Did they do a load test on it? When connected the voltage should be way higher with car running and that would be because alternator charging. Did you recheck voltage after the new alternator? If it's in the 11's with the new alt I'd say that battery is not taking the charge and is likely the problem.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Like ScottinBend said the PS is cover under a extended warranty. I had my PS on my 02 replaced a few months ago. It could be causing the problem. But just to be sure I would have the battery load tested, autozone can do it.

8. Canusrufis

Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the support!

Damper looks and feels ok - can't spin/rotate the metal piece with the belt removed.

I believe autozone did load test it via a load meter (handheld); maybe its different with the battery connected in the car. Or I assumed this was a load test. I didn't think about this yesterday but have a 98 900S saab w/ same exact battery (i think). I'll pull it out and see if that resolves the problem. btw, saab has 252k and runs like a charm... not near as fun to drive though.

I'll update later after checking that out tonight.

9. Canusrufis

Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    ok here's my findings...

using the same spec'd saab battery (batt #2) had the same results as the GOOD battery (batt #1) from above. battery light illuminated, reduced voltage below 12V across the battier terminals.

I retraced the connections and fuses in box 3 and 2 and found F39 Fuse box 2 open. pulled it put a spare in and blown again. this is alternator and PSP fuse.

I'm thinking its the PSP. I could smell PS fluid for a few seconds it seems before KOEO and checking F39 again.

I'll call mini dealer tomorrow and ask about the PSP replacement.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good troubleshooting at least they can't BS when you already know what the problem is and I think it's still covered.

11. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Key word : Intermittenly

IE:

My Power steering intermittenly goes out.