3rd Gen F56 Cooper S Got to drive an F56 today

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by MCS02, Apr 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I hope you are all sitting down.
    I drove a F56 today. I went in to with the viewpoint of, what if I still had my BMW and had never bought a MINI. I drove an S with every option and an automatic. So here is my opinion.

The fit and finish is great just like any other BMW. It was tight and quiets no rattles at all. All the touch points were great, this added to the experience just like I would expect from BMW. The car had every gadget on it you could want. I wont go into each one you can read about them elsewhere. But it was pretty neat for anyone that is a gadget freak, like me.
    In sport mod it had plenty of power and the shift points were great, I loved how it would down shift. The ride was smooth and refined but handled very good. I could even get the rear to rotate around corners. The handling was as good as any BMW I have driven.

All in all this is a great small BMW they did a great job on it. My 17-year-old son was with me and really liked the looks both inside and out.

Would I buy one? Yes! And I did. I will be trading my car in when the one I ordered comes in.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok I was going to let this sit for a day just for the fun of it. But I don't want to do that to you guys.

I'm not trading my R53 in on one. But other than that, what I sad is how I feel about the car. I like BMW. I'm in the BMWCCA. Have owned 4 of them.
    Did you catch how many times I said BMW? This car is a great BMW. Every thing I love about a BMW this car screams!

Its not Mini or MINI to me. the car is a nice car in its own right. I still don't like the looks but that is personal taste.

Why do I love my MINI? Because its visceral. I can hear the SC, I can feel the road. I'm not disconnect from the road or the car. A biker friend of mine was riding in my MINI with me, he called it a cage. I said its a glove not a cage.

The F56 is to refined to disconnected for my taste. Is it a drivers car? yes just like a BMW. But just like a BMW in that you can disconnect if you want to.

I know some will like its BMWness and that is great. I know these will sale. If you like this car, I get it but its just to BMW for me. Before anyone gets upset remember I like BMW. But I like MINI too. I would prefer them to keep what makes them both iconic brands.

To me Mini has lost its Mininess. You either get what I'm saying or you don't.

My 2cents worth.

3. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    THAT'S what I was trying to say in the other thread!! Thanks for stating it far more eloquently than I managed. Although the dash is still playstation 3 to me, not BMW

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    The one I drove in echo mode you could bring up a scream that showed you how you were doing. It had a fish in a blow if you got on it, it would gasp for air. I had it begging for air.:devil:

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    WOW I was like WTF you traded your car. :confused::mad2::eek6:

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Sorry I couldn't help my self. :devil:

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    You fooled me too..... :p

8. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    at first i was like :confused5:

then i was like :frown2:

then at the end:lol:

well played sir well played indeed

9. Dave.1

Dave.1 New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Can we just get an official "R5X Owners' Cacophony of Condescension" sub-thread in here and get it over with.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ hahahahahaha Bizarro Dave.0 post. :lol:

11. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Aw shucks, I was about to ask when you were going to turn your son loose with the MINI so he could see how beautifully it rotates around corners.:mad:

12. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Was your test unit part of the oil filter housing+gasket recall?

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    My son wanted to drive his Mustang. So I let hem. I was looking down when he turned left. I looked up to see a truck about to his us from the left and a car comming from the right. I said something I really don't remember now. Next I was treated to a demo of how a 5.0 Mustang with mods can rotate! :yikes: I told my son, when my hart started beating agine, I'm old and don't need the thrill!

No it was an S

But I should say thanks to Matt for getting the manager to let me drive it. They didn't want it on the road till next weekend when their having some rollout party.

14. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    REALTOR, insurance broker.
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    F56 Blues

I feel the same way as you do about the F56. I thought the F56 base was better driving than the S model, but neither did anything for me. As an owner of the R56 N18 (tuned, 25.5mm sway bar, etc), the newest MINI felt about 10 steps back in terms of driver engagement. Every MINI I've driven before, had some character to it. The newest MINI just felt like any other car. Nothing special or unique. As BMW has dulled down their entire lineup with lukewarm replacements for their previous generations of cars, they did the same thing to the MINI's. There was no exhaust or turbocharger noise, the engine sounded like it was under a foot of whale blubber, and it never pushed me back in the seat like R56 turbocharged models do, or even the supercharged R53 did. The steering was overly light even in sport mode, the gimmicky LED lights around the radio are distracting, and despite a decent increase in wheelbase and overall length, the rear seat didn't seem any larger. It was easier to enter the rear seat, but that had to do with how far forward the front seats move now. The suspension had much more roll than before too. The first S I drove was unfortunately an automatic - as they only had one. It's shifts were rough, and it never felt like it knew what gear to be in. The manual transmission model I drove a week later was better than the auto, but I still wouldn't ever think of buying an F56 over a new VW GTI MKVII or even a preowned R56 S or JCW. I'm just glad I got the last generation of fun and unique MINI's. The front grille and air inlets look ridiculous. It's like MINI mated an R56 with a fish and that's their spawn. The taillights look comically oversized, and in general I wasn't blown away with the interiors remodel. I've read about how improved it is on the inside, and when I saw it in person was disappointed. As a BMW product, of course it's loaded with miles of hard black plastic, synthetic textured vinyl dash and door panels, and of course the first one I drove had a rattle in the dash. I'm not blown away by the car at all. It's engine never felt as responsive at ultra low rpm's, or above 5000RPM. TO me, the brakes felt like pushing on a brick. I had to push with a LOT of force to get anything to happen. I've seen that same feedback from Autocar. I'm guessing the new brake systems are also from Asia as BMW began deploying Asian brakes in their own models recently. All in all, if you've preordered without buying one, I hope it's a refundable charge. If you are thinking of getting rid of your R56 or R50/3, DO NOT.

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I test drove the F-56 last Thursday. I care not what others may say, but I really liked it. Interior is very nice, handled well, smooth ride, plenty of power, shifted smoothly and felt good. No, it is not your typical, bare bones, limited quality, will it get me home British car from days gone by, but that is fine with me. :Thumbsup:

16. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    REALTOR, insurance broker.
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I did see where Burger tuning is prepping a B48 stage 1 plug and play. Too bad the rest of the car isn't up to par.

17. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    When are you going to trade yours in on the new one? I know it won't take you long to get it looking sharp.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It's a nice little BMW but it is not a MINI.

19. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Apparently they badged it wrong cause it says MINI on it.......:devil:

20. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    You are correct, they did indeed badge it incorrectly..