1st Gen R53 Cooper S Hello fellows! 18 year old guy wants to buy his first car!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Clarity, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, first of all, I'd like to point out that my grammar is horrible, so sorry for that!

I am thinking about buying my first car now, getting the licence in 2-3 months.

My budget will suite a pre-owned 2002-2003 Mini Cooper S.

Most of them have gone like 120.000-160.000km. I've read there is some issues with these cars, but I can't leet it stop my dream. I just I hope I find one with no problems or worries.

Anyone has some tips for a newbuyer with no car-experience? What to check, what to test?

Here in Norway it is so much snow, so how is this car on snow?

I am also thinking about changing to exhaust to something little more wildly.

Here in Norway I can buy a Simons exhaust system (i dont know which, it doesn't stand, i ain't allowed to posts urls yet..), but it is this Simons 0MBCH0DR. It is around 600 euros here.

Or should I order online from another country? I've heard this is good, it is from Lohen.uk, but it is "Milltek Cat-back system - Cooper S"

Thank you for all answers my mini-friends, looking forward to getting a cool Mini Cooper S. :cornut::cornut:

2. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A.
    As much as I love the way that my MINI looks ( cool as he@@), and the way it drives, I would never recommend to an 18 year old to buy one as a first car. My eldest son is 14 years old, and his first car will not be a MINI. These cars can be very expensive to buy, maintain, and repair. I am a journeyman tool and die maker, with an Engineering Degree, (that means that I make a very respectable wage) and my 2006 R50 stretches my budget.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that is just my 0.02 cents worth.

Good luck, and happy motoring.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

4. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Once you find "the one" have an unbiased professional check it over and print a report before making your purchase. I wish I had done this before I bought mine. Recently I had my clutch replaced. If I had had taken it to my trusted mechanic and had an inspection done I would have known in advance. I don't regret my purchase, but it would have been nice to have had a little extra bargaining power, and know what to expect.

5. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Don't turn up your nose at an R50 either. Sure it has less zip, but that means it has almost certainly not been raced, and it will be at least $1000 cheaper than the same features but an S. You'll also get much better gas mileage AND there's no supercharger to go bad and need replacing!

6. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #6 Clarity, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks for all the answers guys!

The price of the car isn't a mainproblem itself, but if we are talking about heavy spareparts changing, maybe I'd like to change to another dream...

I am just curious if how bad can it be, how big is the ****up factor?

It's like, I know this is silly, but I want an Cooper S and I wont change my opinion, it has been a dream for a long time, and finnaly I can afford one.

I'll try to find one which is driven nice and complete servicehistory.

R50 is awesome aswell, but all my buddies driving those crazy T5 Volvos, 530D, 325CI etc.

I need something that actually can follow and being a ****ing wild animal in the trafic.

I'll maybe need to rethink the hole idea, but damn I really want this!

I won't pay gasoline or oil, my job pays it for me. So if we are talking about like 1000 euros per year to maintain this car, it isn't THAT big of a problem.

Here in Norway you can pay a company around 400 euros for a fullcheck of the car, this is what I am thinking to do, so I dont get any "suprises".

7. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    There are still pleanty of clean R53's around, to many people they are more of a fair weather car. Good luck with your search and be sure to post up some pics when you find one.

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'll atleast try, the dreamcar, I love em'.

So, Simons exhaustsystem vs Miltek exhaustsystem?

And is it AUX defualt in these cars?

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!!
    My suggestion...
    Buy a "good" car....and you can only afford it if you have enough leftover cash to fix it if it brakes...
    Clutches fail, power steering pumps die, and things wear out...
    Affording a car is more than gas, oil and insurance, ESPECIALLY with a MINI. The fun does come with a price. If you have tools and skills, you can save a few $$, but since time is $$, it may/may not make sense to diy it.
    Be honest with yourself....nothing is worse than having a good car you cannot afford to fix......
    MINI'S do well in the snow/ice, especially if equipped with the optional DSC (as opposed to the asc+t), tires really make the car...ground clearance is the only issue, but if basic plowing has been done, leaving you with only a couple of inches of snow, you are good to go!!

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Milteck is well known in the us....the other one is unknown.
    The aux was NEVER standard in the US spec cars....and only works on newer model radios..2004+ one I think..(compatible with newer, so just swap with a used unit, looks the same, but added mp3 capability and can be identified with a different volume knob)....here in the US, The "MIDLEVEL" CD PLAYER was the base radio....same unit as the up level HK, that just got better and more speakers and an amp.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!