3rd Gen F56 Cooper S MF:MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by ZippyNH, May 20, 2015.

1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Interesting read....
    I am stunned...
    F56/F55 Changes
    Sport suspension option discontinued

MotoringFile » Archive » Exclusive: MINI USA’s 2016 Product Updates Include Some Major Surprises
    I knew MINI "mainstreaming" the S, and pushing sporty folks into the JCW or the "adjustable option....but WOW!!

Even Gabe at MF is surprised....

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but Gabe will find a way to spin it positive, he just hasn't had the time to figure it out yet.

In bold:F56/F55 Discontinued

But it was only options. No early Christmas present for Dave.

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    I am shocked that the rear fogs are kaput.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The Germans really don't believe Americans are competent to use them properly.

Luckily, on my E90, it was as simple as installing the euro switch cluster.

5. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    #5 JackMac, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Neither of these changes make any sense IMHO. Sport suspension and rear fog lights are two options which I would include on any custom ordered MINI.

My suspicion is that a much larger percentage of cars are being spec'd by dealers these days. When dealers spec a car, they don't add invisible items like sport suspension and rear fog lights, because they want to keep the cost down and make the price point more attractive to buyers. As a result the "take rate" on these options is very low, so now MINI USA decides to cut them out completely.

6. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    To the contrary he is openly calling them out on it, said it is unforgivable to remove these options.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Good article

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #8 cct1, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Have a little faith, it's early yet....He's probably too busy on Bimmerfile at the moment to properly spin this, this one is going to take a bit of creativity and ingenuity, but I have full confidence in him, he's never let me down yet. Just give him time. He'll find a way to eventually turn this into a "better in every way" positive, BMW apologists always do...

9. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Besides, it's not like they [BMW] listen to anything other than their sales reports and bottom line. Can't blame them for it... but it is disappointing.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I don't blame them for it either; it's consistent with their business model. It's not for me, but I get it. Heck, buying the stock suspension and replacing it with aftermarket coil overs are a much better way to go anyway.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Next MINI will be called Titanic.

Great job BMW

12. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Sad to see we saw it coming....sadder to see it happen...
    The intent is patently obvious IMO...
    Force the "sporty" buyer to upgrade $$$ to the JCW, and have the S be the mainstream upper trim (soccer mom car, like the MDX, but the "anti SUV version) while the cooper is aimed at the more mpg seeking nd urban driver...
    Guess I might have made the right choice to jump ship...but makes me sadder to know I sold my one of a kind, end of an era modern classic...
    Too see the MINI kinda walking away from many folks who made their modern brand...
    Folks who understood rear fogs, and IMO liked the idea of a factory sport suspension that was not a $$ upgrade to JCW save a few $$ and in some parts of the country, give you more ground clearance for snow.....
    On paper it must have made sense...sure many folks opted for the adjustable suspension...but the complexity and the fact its not " quite" as sport as the sport+ makes me think it is a bit of a line in the sand for BMW...
    If they runoff the folks who run the cars the hardest, the typical S driver, their reliability goes up and the warrenty costs drop....
    And IMO many folks that have the $$$ for the JCW, it is more of a status symbol.....and the margins on the extra JCW parts more than pay for the extra warrenty costs...which my gut tells me is why the items cost 50% more than aftermarket...to pay for driver abuse while keeping the warrenty.....

13. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    The more things change.....the more MINI assimilates into every other damn car out there. Someone find out who is making these decisions and maybe give their address to an ISIS affiliate or something. At least the Jehovah witnesses or somethings.

(note for those with no sense of humor, that was done with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    We're getting left behind, but we're a minority. A vocal minority, and most of us will move onto something else, or a used one of the same, if/when our R53's die. But it's really the only way this could have played out--the R53 didn't make money. So it was either a one-off, or BMW had to make the car more mainstream to keep costs down, and make the car more refined and livable on a daily basis to attract more buyers. They're at least attempting to throw in a limited number performance models along the way, they don't appeal to me personally, but at least they haven't given up on those. I guess the bottom line is I've come to peace with it, it is what it is, it makes sense from BMW's perspective. I don't like it personally, but I'm not who they're after anymore, I get it. There will still be fanatics that buy the new models though, so I figure the community will live on.

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    As I understand it, the sports suspension and rear fog deletions were only MINI USA's choice. The options will continue to be available outside the US.

16. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    So people who want rear fogs will obtain the necessary part from the Euro market. Problem solved, unfortunate about the sport suspension - but again buy an ordinary 'S' and go aftermarket - more satisfying if you want to carve corners.

17. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    However vocal, I think we're solidly in the minority, here. 95% of buyers won't notice or know the difference. The goiterous bumper design and the only-Picasso-would-love shape of the F56 is much more of a dangerous product mistake for MINI. The small, cute, premium car arena is only going to get more crowded.

18. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    While I agree - if the sales rise it will only aid their move away from what we the real enthusiast consider a MINI.

19. Piston

Piston New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bicycle Sales
    Central NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am on my second MINI (R53 to R55), and I continue to buy late model years of discontinue models -- both were used (and have/ had sport suspension).

On my drive home yesterday, I saw 4 MINIs -- 3 of them were F56s. I was a little suprised, but they seem to be well received by the general consumer.

The other was a R53 with 3 grill badges. Guess who was the only one to wave back.

20. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I have one four letter word for this thread.