1st Gen R53 Cooper S Battery died

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Razone23, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    So today for the first time in a while o decided to turn the AC on and all I got was a stream of warm air. Got it checked and fixed. Loss of charge not sure why or how, but it's working. 20 minutes later at a light waiting. ABS.along with some other lights came on and the EML light. (Extra Money Light) and battery light. Thinking out loud WTF battery,alternator ? Not common for a car to just die usually if alternator is good the car will continue running until it's turned off. Got battery checked has 12volts but I believe she said not enough cranks? It's an interstate battery that I got with the car 4 years ago. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and take the battery to an authorized dealer. Hopefully they can pro-rate and give me a better price. Two questions

1. Is it okay to remove battery for over 24 hours.
    2. Does this sound like an alternator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. retromike3

retromike3 New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    don't need to remove the battery

What I did was I went down to my local car parts dealer and got one of those "quick chargers" ( I also have charging problems.) I think the problem I have, is that my alternator is not outputting enough to keep my system up and running correctly. The first thing I did after I'd had the car for a little while is replace the center display unit. ever since then I've been having trouble.

the Mini dealer charged me $750 to program this particular unit and unfortunately they didn't do a wonderful job.

The other day I was driving my car (a 2003 Cooper S) and I go to start the car in the dark and the first thing it happens is the headlight start to flash. after I circuited through on turning the car on off several times I got the headlights to stay on, But all of my warning lights came on.

Fortunately one of the guys at Mini Madness told me how I could reset IECU

" with the key in the ignition but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button with one hand.

While holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 ( first click) with the other hand. the screen will have a number in the word"tESt" scroll through the numbers are pressing the odometer button through to 19 and wait a moment. ( the number order is:1,2.10,19).

The message will say 19"Li-off, and then 19-on and back then back to Li- off again.
    You are now in the system. Scroll through till 21. tESt And wait a moment. 21.0 rESt will come up. Press the button once.

your gauges will now make some sounds and movements. Once the lights come back on start your car. If no reset your EC you and your mini is now ready to relearn the new mods and your driving style."

I've used it twice now and it does seem to help. I still need to get my alternator fixed but this keeps me going until I can do that. I think I'll do that when I get my AC working. ( sigh)
    :mad2:

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    #3 MCS02, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Yes you can leave the battery disconnected. I have had mine disconnected of weeks before. No big deal.

It could be an alternator but your battery is 4 years old. A battery can show 12 volts and be bad you must do a load test on it and see how it recovers. Any parts store can do this. Also they can test the alternator for you but remember if the battery is bad it could cause the alternator to test bad. So fix the battery first.

Welcome to MA! You have a first Gen mini? If this started with the replacement of the center display unit I would start there. Perhaps something it not connected correctly. Then I would take the car back to the dealer and have them do the job correct.

Minis have been know to do odd things with bad battery.

Have you had the battery and alternator tested? Or are you guessing that it is not charging? If your wiring is messed up from the center display then that could cause all sorts of problems. I would be very careful you don't want a fried BCM or ECU.

4. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    New battery in and off we go. Incredible how a battery can create so much havoc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    if your car is your daily driver, you shouldn't have many problems with the battery until it nears the end of its life. However, if you only drive once in awhile and the car sits, running it will not charge up the battery and you will need a quicker replacement.

6. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My wife had the same final symptoms in her '06 R53 just a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be the alternator, so I bet that's your root cause as well.

7. Breyfogle

Breyfogle New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Aero engineer
    Metro LA --- South Bay
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When my battery failed a sudden death, one of several oddities was for the CD player to repeatedly spun up / spun down ... Go figure !

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    BMW/MINI :biggrin5:

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Hey...it's a big computer with an engine attached!!
    Yup...odd things start to happen depending on how the battery fails....

I might add it is unusual to have a running car stop due to a dying battery....but it sounds like the battery was at the end if its useful life, regardless of the warrenty (just like tires and mattresses, it just a prorated warrenty that is really just a discount on the next one ..keeps you in the same brand).
    Hopefully the alternator is still still strong (I have doubts, I had an similar thing happen with an old Honda...think the alternator was outputting about 25 amps, so no red light, but the lights did dim with the heater fan or high beams....) and the crank pulley is good.