2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Tire pressure lies

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Guapish_Fliver, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My car is telling me that I have low tire pressure but my gauge is telling me my tires are all 34-35 psi.

The only thing I did was rotate tires why does it lie?

Will it work itself out and go away?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Reset the system.

Begin by starting the engine. Push the button on the end of the turn signal lever until “SET/INFO†is displayed in the dashboard vehicle message center (next to your odometer display.)
    Press and hold the button until the message changes and continue scrolling through messages by pushing the button until you see the tire monitor symbol and reset is displayed.
    Press and hold the button until the display changes. The monitoring system is now initialized.
    The vehicle is now ready to recalibrate the TPS system on your next drive. After a few minutes of driving, the system will calibrate to the newly-installed or adjusted tires and properly set the pressures to be monitored. (The system DOES NOT display a notification once the reset is complete.)

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Last year, a long way from home and near the edge of the civilized world a tire went terribly bad. The closest tire store had 40's but no 45's in our size so that's what we had to go with on all 4.
    The tire monitor went crazy the first 20 or 30 miles then finally gave up. These tires about shot. I can hardly wait for its reaction when they get replaced with the correct size. I love watching computers struggle with the real world.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I long time fix is to simply open the dash and put a small piece of electrical tape over the light. :cool:

5. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    There's a difference between the indication you get when rotating tires and actual low pressure. True "low pressure" indication will be an image of the car with the affected tire "flagged". I forget the actual indication, but I've had both, flat tires, and I switch wheels between winter and summer --- both sets have TPMS. Chances are, you didn't have low pressure, just the "un-recognized TPMS sensor" indication, and your car isn't lying to you.

Nathan's reset procedure should work. I always have lotsa grief when I reset mine --- I hardly ever push the button the correct amount of time, and it goes off to some reading I have no use for.

6. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #6 Guapish_Fliver, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Rock on. While I'm in there maybe I should just tape the entire dash :cornut:

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have covered almost all the idiot lights and the DSC off light. I have a digital tire pressure gauge with my compressor in my garage. I also know when I need brakes. I even covered "blacked out" the SES light because I have the BavTech software and the BMW/MINI software.