2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Malfunction light - Help

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Rastoff, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Rastoff

Rastoff New Member

Jul 13, 2016
    So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Today while driving down the freeway I went to accelerate past a semi-truck. I didn't down shift, I just pressed the accelerator. As I did this, this light came on:
    [​IMG]

I stopped immediately and looked in the manual. On page 133 it said, "Lights up in yellow:
    Full engine power no longer available
    You can continue on your journey, but moderate your speed and exercise due caution. Have the engine checked as soon as possible."

I then continued home which was only about 4 miles. Once home, I used my OBDII reader to check for codes; it didn't have any. There was a note about a misfire.

Anyone know any possibilities about what might be wrong?

The car runs fine and I've noticed no loss in power. It didn't make any funny sounds when the light came on and isn't making any now. The only indication that anything might be wrong is this annoying light.

I will call the mechanic tomorrow. In the mean time, is there a way for me to clear this fault?

Just for the record:
    2008 Mini Cooper S
    Manual Transmission

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't clear the fault, as that symbol is usually for something important. I also wouldn't drive it anywhere but the mechanic.

I also have an 08 MCS, and the only times I've gotten that light has been for something major.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff New Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Major? What specifically?

Was your indicator yellow or red?

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Yellow. In one case the turbo had seized, and in the other I was bleeding oil at an epic rate from a broken seal. Both repairs were major surgery.

Yellow is letting you know to limp over to the garage and have work done before it goes Red, and needs a new engine.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff New Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info.

I'm standing at the service center now. The light went out on the way over here. Not leaking or burning oil and it wouldn't perform like it is if the turbo were seized.

I'm gonna let them look at it just in case.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff New Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, they're keeping the car because they didn't have time to work on it. They gave me a loaner; Hyundai Elantra. :( After the Mini this thing is making me want to walk.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Bummer :(

Let's hope it won't be a long loan.

8. NikiMae31

NikiMae31 New Member

May 17, 2009
    Nursing Student/ EMT
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hope it isn't long for you. I've had a MINI go into limp mode, was a bad spark plug. The top little thing of it came off. Ended up with a cracked valve. :-/