2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Waste gate pivot arm jiggy

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Guapish_Fliver, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should there be any play at all in the waste gate pivot arm where it goes through the exhaust turbine housing. I feel like mine has a really loose jig to it.

I'm thinking/was told that play in the pivot arm shaft will cause boost leak, limp mode, boost dump etc... All things that I am currently experiencing.

Anyone heard of this? It's the WG pivot arm shaft that's loose in the housing it seems like

2. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    That's what I'm told is wrong with mine right now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is a shop telling you this? Ask them how they know...

How can they test to see if it's leaking from the shaft?

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's not leaking down the shaft exactly, the looseness keeps the actuator from being able to pull it tight, that's why it leaks boost. A friend and I have been talking about temp ways to tighten it up - a spring someplace or maybe bend the actuator rod in an S pattern to shorten it and take up the slack....something like that. VW's have the same issue.

5. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It can't be sorted by preload on the rod?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I'm not going to touch that one:frown2: no way!

7. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Here's some pics of wastegates, both '07 MCS and Garrett GTX2860R.

The 1st two are OEM, both shown in the closed position --- I don't have a vacuum source to open it. The OEM has an added pivot point on the valve itself, allowing it to seal at a slightly variable angle. The last three are the Garrett, shown open and closed.

Both turbos have an adjustable actuating rod. Whether or not you choose to adjust it should be between you and your turbo supplier. I expect the proper adjustment would be when the valve is closed tight --- there should be nothing loose anywhere in the linkage. If there is, I highly recommend getting it replaced. Note that the Garrett has been disassembled, so the actuating rod isn't hooked up. It might be possible to replace just the exhaust portion of the OEM turbo, if the wastegate is loose. Maybe check with your aftermarket supplier?

Attached Files:

8. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I called the turbo guy and he said there has to be play in the shaft to prevent binding. He also said the turbo/housing was new... Mine has about 1/8" play in the pivot arm shaft in all directions. The waste gate actuator rod and everything else is tight, it's just the pivot point connected to the exhaust housing that moves. He said as long as that waste gate in the housing in the above pics makes flat contact it should seal. I have boost leak codes 2885 and am going to pressure test/fog the system post turbo. If everything is tight I would have to assume it's the turbo. And it's only making 15 pounds boost according to manual gauge and it comes on way late at like 3500 rpm. Still in and out of limp mode. Leaky somewhere

9. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    If your turbo guy is the same guy who sold you the MAF delete tune, I'd be doubtful of his description of how things work. Your turbo is obviously different from both of mine, but neither of mine have any play in the pivot arm, just nice smooth movement. Even when the OEM version is disconnected from the diaphragm push rod, there's insignificant play. Any way you can find someone else with experience on your turbo? Personal opinion --- rotating shafts rely on bushings or bearings to prevent binding. Anyone using "play" has a terrible design.

Or maybe take a chance and adjust the push rod so all the play is removed? Do this with DP removed, so you can see the valve making flat contact. Remember, exhaust gasses will try to open the valve --- you need the diaphragm spring to hold it closed, until the ECU applies vacuum.

Have you taken off the DP to ensure the WG is making flat and continuous contact --- can't be wiggled off?

10. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So your pivot arm on the outside of the housing has no play? I'm talking about the shaft that connects to the waste gate itself and goes through the exhaust turbine housing. I want to grab someone else's pivot arm and see how it feels.

I haven't taken off dp yet, I really don't want to. I will after I determine the plumbing is tight...

11. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Nope! No play. When you check someone else's pivot arm, make sure they don't have the same mfg/model turbo you have. I've heard there are some "cheap Chinese" turbos out there, that "fall apart" easily. You might have one. You need to compare yours with other mfg's, preferably OEM. Good luck finding one in good working order with the pivot arm accessible.