2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Yellow LED Fogs?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Grizld700, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I picked the OEM LED Foglight retrofit kit. I've wanted this set since it came out. Finally got the kit. Now I'm wondering something. I really like the yellow fog light look on our MINI's. But would it look ok with the LED set? Is the color going to be off if I put yellow tint on the lens?

Has anyone put yellow on their LED Fogs? If so do you have any pics?

2. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    No help here Chris...but I'll give your thread a bump.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I have Piaa yellow bulbs in my fog lamps. I Love Them!

4. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #4 BlwnAway, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    I've never seen yellow led replacement H-11 bulbs (the 1st gen cars use H-11 bulbs) or complete led replacement lights.
    As far as tinting, if you used a good glass stain (stained glass tint from a hobby shop) it would probably hold up best, my big worry would be getting the exact same amount of tint on both lenses so they match, since the amount of tint will dictate the color.
    Or
    Find a yellow/euro headlight tint film and simply trim it to fit.

But.....

I think your best option (besides the above mentioned yellow bulbs) would be to get a 35w HID kit and simply get 3000k bulbs with it, you should be able to find a kit for under $30.00, plug-n-play ballasts and all.
    I did HID bulbs in my OEM housings before changing to projector housings, and in the fog/driving light location, they didn't glare or over power on coming traffic like HID's in regular headlight housings, but I used 8000k bulbs, don't know if the 3000k's would be the same or not.

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    So you're wanting the lenses to look yellow but the light output of the LED's to still be white?

It can be done, just not with a vinyl tint! Any vinyl you put on will make the light the same color as the tint, but they can be sprayed with a yellow metallic candy to give the lenses a yellow look with the light output being virtually unchanged.

The metallic candies I use are made from a mylar film like an emergency thermo blanket... Looks like a chrome sheet, but if you hold it up to the sun you can see through it like dark tinted sunglasses.

I did the Porker's LED fogs as a test in a gold candy, and even mixed it super thick to see how much it would affect the light output... They passed my test! It retained about 90% of the brightness and the color of the light was only darkened it didn't turn into a yellow light.

I have to dig through the pictures on my computer to show the lights off and on pictures but Killboy got a decent shot on the Dragon with the DRL's on.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  7. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to make sure when using the OEM LED set I purchased and placing a Lamin-X film on them as Dave suggested that the output color wasn't going to be off.

And Rick I want the output to be yellow, I like the yellow better for fogs. I currently have Yellow fog light bulbs in my stock housings and like them a lot. Its just now I have the LED set to install but still would like yellow output

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    A white LED doesn't produce much yellow component in its light output. So yes, using film the color will be a little off from what you might be seeking.

9. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0