2nd Gen R56 Cooper S P1497 after after new top end install

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Sleeper, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Systems Engineer
    Hope, NJ USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everyone. I am new here but have been a Mini owner since 2008. I recently completed installing a reconditioned head on my R56.
    The head was done by a very reputable speed shop in N. Jersey. Everything went together as expected without any major complications except having to do some things twice. The engine starts fine and runs smooth for about 2 minutes with no codes. Then it starts idling rough and throwing a P1497 code (Downstream Throttle Air Leak). It revs smooth with some minor popping.

I checked and rechecked all connections on hoses between the turbo and filter. I have read this could be the valve cover. Is there any way to test it? Of course I used all new gaskets and followed all torque specs from the Bentley manual.

Why would it run smooth for a couple minutes before throwing the code and sputtering?
    What am I missing?
    Thanks in advance....Greg

2. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Downstream usually means between turbo and throttle body --- look for a loose hose connection or defective hose. Double check the PCV hose to the intake manifold too (passenger side outlet). Smooth running for a couple minutes, when cold, could be engine running with bad air / fuel ratio after it warms up.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Systems Engineer
    Hope, NJ USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have checked and rechecked all the plumbing/connections from the turbo to the intercooler to the airbox. I have tried spraying starter fluid anywhere I thought could suck in air to see if the engine would rev...but nothing.
    Last night while troubleshooting the problem the valve train started making a bunch of racket. I shut it down and pulled the valve cover and found little tension on the cam chain. I pulled the tensioner and it was stuck fully collapsed. I will install the new tensioner and put it back tomorrow night. I'm sure I will still have the P1497.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Systems Engineer
    Hope, NJ USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been able to work on the car for a while. But had some time last week and found a cracked PCV hose, I pulled the intake ad found that the manifold gaskets that came with the rebuild kit were slightly slimmer than OEM. I replaced with OEM. After driving it a little it is now idling smoothly. But it is still trowing the 1497 code and under acceleration and going up hills I am getting pinging. If I take it easy the motor is quiet. I pulled the spark plugs to see how it was burning fuel and here is how they look. [​IMG]
    They look ok maybe a little lean? Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Greg

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    That's odd it was just there

7. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Generic "P" codes are worse than useless with Mini/BMWs, run a diagnostic using INPA, DIS or Carly for BMW - all of which will read the actual Diagnostic Trouble Code set by the manufacturer.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Systems Engineer
    Hope, NJ USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought I would write the conclusion to this story. After driving a few times the code cleared and the car was running and idling pretty well. But it started making a fairly loud popping noise when the engine was under load. Sounded like a backfire but was coming from the engine compartment.

I took it to my local mechanic that works on minis and he wasn't sure what it was. He said it could take a lot of hours to diagnose which means lots of $$$. He recommended a few things to try and sent me on my way. I was stumped.

I finally got tired of looking at it in my garage and decided to take it to Morristown Mini for diagnosis. I was amazd with what they reported back to me. They said my clutch pressure plate was coming apart and recommended fix for $4000. I knew they were full of $&%#. So I paid the diag bill and took it home.

I isolated the noise to the intake side of the motor. I pulled the the intake and the fuel rail and eureka! the #2 injector teflon seal was broken and fell off when I extracted the injector.

I replaced the injector for a grand total of $78 and it is running great!

Here is a pic of the injectors and the report from Morristown Mini. Don't think I will be giving them any more of my business.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZQeMJKwoWNa8WDx19

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Glade you found it. You just saved yourself $3922 congrats!!!

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This made me chuckle...

Basically they wanted you to pay them to go on a snipe hunt with your MINI and your wallet....

Start paying for stuff that's not broken... just start pulling and replacing stuff and then giving you a bill at the end...

Mechanic.... Hey honey... We're having steak tonight, I landed a big one today...

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Just wow. :/