1st Gen R53 Cooper S Headlight Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Newbie6, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, I haven't posted in awhile but I'm having an issue with my headlight turning off while I'm driving. I will check it out tomorrow when it isn't dark outside but when I turn the headlights on they come on and then after driving a little bit the passenger one shuts off. If I turn the headlights off and back on again it comes back on. I have the Xeon HIDS so is this an igniter going out or a ballast issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I have a bi-xenon issue, too, and so far, have not been able to figure it out. Here is my headlight thread...

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/27840-hmmmm-where-did-my-high-beams-go.html

Your problem sounds more like a power issue, to me. It sounds like that headlight is losing power intermittently.

My problem isn't constant, either. Sometimes the high-beams work, and sometimes they don't.

I'm sure the MINI dealer can fix it, for a nominal fee. $$$$$$$$$$

CD

3. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    But the thing is if I turn the headlights off and turn them back on it works for a little bit so it might just be a loose connection or I have ballast about to go out or maybe the igniter is going bad but the fact it comes on and kicks off after a few seconds makes me think the ballast is going out or a bad connection, never had an issue before just recently started happening

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    It could be a light going bad.

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Is it possible to switch parts one at time from the passenger side to drivers side and vice versa to determine which part is bad ??

6. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I replaced them about a year ago and it works fine for a little bit then shuts off and when I turn them off and back on it comes right back on like nothing happened just kinda scratching my head about it really thinking bad connection or ballast

7. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is possible, I did that before when my driver side ballast went bad I switched them around to see what the problem was and that is when I replaced the headlights thinking it was just that

8. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I have a similar thing that tosses a wrench into the works. If I turn my car off with the lights on, and leave them switched on, of course, that turns the lights off to save the battery. And, if I do that, when I start the car, the lights come on, and most of the time, the high beams work.

That really doesn't help me. It just adds more complexity to the problem.

I love my Xenon lights for driving at night, but it is certainly more complicated than the old-school headlights from way back when.

CD

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  10. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Yea I'll have to do that just to see what the issue is. Just really sucks because I've been so busy with work and having to travel with my car at night just have to bring my tools with me to figure out this problem and just go from there I guess

11. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Igniters are about 95% of the fixes. I've had to replace them on my other 2 cars but not my coop. Make sure the rubber seal that protects the plug isn't cracked water can get into the igniter and cause a short. Some have a seal around the housing also. Good luck

12. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Yea I may have to check it out because it has been raining here in Maryland a lot the last few days so maybe some water got in and messed something up!

13. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I switched the control box around and the passenger one went out again so I'm fairly certain it is the igniter that is going bad I used automotive electronics cleaner and cleaned the connections on both and again the passenger headlight went out again, so I'll be in search of a new igniter, anyone ever replaced one before?

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  15. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well I have an 02 and the igniter is different it looks more like this

[​IMG]

16. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes! Can someone post a link to the how-to for opening up your old style HID lights and replacing the igniter above? Not the later lights; the early 2001-2002 ones that were supposed to be non-serviceable. I have a set of these lights for my R50 that I want to sell. It would be nice to put it back to HID status first. For cheap.