1st Gen R53 Cooper S Best way to replace Alternator

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lr19, Oct 10, 2016.

1. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My alternator needs replaced im new to minis and I've yet to make any fixes to it, I replaced alternators on other vehicles. But this looks very tight just wondering suggestions
    For the easiest way to go about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJCNh3XbJDM"]Replace Alternator - 2002-2006 MINI Cooper S POV - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this, and see what you think of the project. :Thumbsup:

3. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My mini is currently getting a new oil pan seal I'm thinking I should have just done it myself when doing the alternator, looks like you have to take off about the same stuff to do both

5. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    It looks a little daunting at first, but if you take your time and follow the procedure, it's not too bad. Also, you can do other preventative maintenance while in front end service mode, such as the crank pos sensor oil seal (which always leaks). A Bentley service manual is a must have if you are going to do maintenance yourself.

6. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya my mechanic is actually doing that crank seal while he does the oil pan, he says they are both leaking. Does anyone know if that tool is a must for taking bet off?

7. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Those tensioners are under some pressure. I wouldn't risk my fingers by using a pry bar, etc.

8. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought i saw a video of a guy using a 1/2 breaker bar inserted into tension pully, that's how I have done my others as well

9. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    I always use the proper tool on my MINI because it fits right, it gives the right amount of leverage, and it has the the correct pin to lock the tensioner in place while you remove/replace the belt,safely. In England we have a saying that goes along the lines of "never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your genitals (or words to that effect)"

10. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lol, I'm debating having my mechanic install it while he's in there working on oil pan but it will be another 400 bucks I think I can try my self and learn how to work on my mini more

11. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    The tool is about $50, the belt about $25, and a Bentley manual is around $100. It is a real easy maintenance item.

12. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cool what's the alternator I'm assuming I don't have to get oem?

13. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That video is for an R53 Cooper S. It has a different belt tensioner and uses a differnt tool to relieve the tension. You can in fact just stick a breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole of the R50 to get the belt off. This video, up to about 6:55, shows going into front end service mode on an R50 justa.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1bLeMwMG6U"]2002-06 MINI Cooper Non-S Clutch Replacement Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's an R50 belt replacement video, where at 6:01 he's demonstrating how the tensioner tool works on that car:

https://youtu.be/U8x4VHXzXAA?t=6m1s

At Pelican Parts they go through it also, interleaving R50 and R53 instructrions (confusing!). Scroll down to figure 13 to see the special tool, and the alternative, "...you can also insert a 3/8" drive ratchet into the square hole". But your 3/8" driver needs a pretty long handle, at least longer than your average 3/8" socket wrench. Have your pin (skinny allen wrench, held with long pliers, a hemostat, etc) ready.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/04-BASICS-Serpentine_Belt_Replacement/04-BASICS-Serpentine_Belt_Replacement.htm

Here's the actual alternator walkthrough, again mentioning that on the R50 you're not having to take the radiator all the way off, but only move it a little to give yourself some clearance, as Mod Mini does in the first link above after 6:00 or so, using his toilet bolts (!?).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/51-ELEC-Alternator_Replacement/51-ELEC-Alternator_Replacement.htm

Other big caveat whether or not your new alternator has a pulley, or if you're going to have to transfer your old pulley over to the new alternator, and if so do you have an impact wrench, and a strap wrench for that.

Having all those tools, some spare fasteners and clips for putting your bumper back together, and the long bolts to support it while you're working, is a larger issue than the special belt tool. But for $400? Worth it.

14. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    ^^^^ Excellent info.

15. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    just buy the tool used from somebody who sold his Mini. It isn't easy with the tool (at least mine keeps slipping off the fulcrum point unless I am totally 100% putting pressure on in the proper direction.

The whole front end comes off pretty easily. I'd drain the radiator and get it out of the way, especially if you don't know how old the coolant is. Just replace it.

I just did my super charger oil for the second time in 14 months. Once you take that front end off a few times, it actually doesn't take that much time. You slowly will grow very familiar with all those bolts and brackets and torx bits.

Get a new belt while you have it off. They are cheap. If your tensioner has never been replaced, replace it. Cheap insurance. Replace o-rings on dip stick tube and crank position sensor when you're in there for the alternator, because they will leak in less than 30k miles.

16. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Ditto
    Personally, I suggest that anyone who is considering wrenching on their own mini, take some spare time (a couple of hours will do) and put your car into Service Mode (down to the core support unless you want to change your antifreeze in the process) at least once to see how truly easy it is and to get an understanding of how the front end goes together. Once the fear if doing it is gone, it will become an absolute no-brainer for doing certain repairs and maybe even help to give you some confidence to tackle other jobs that you think may be "too much" for you, like W/P & S/C issues.
    I can have my car on the jack stands and in full service mode in 20 min I've done it so often.

17. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is everyone calling service mode?

18. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Full, Service Mode is removal of the Lower Splash Cover, Bumper Cover, Bumper, Crush Tubes and Core Support (with Radiator and Fan attached).

19. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    90% of what you will need to know about working on your Mini can be found in Mod Mini's youtube channel. Watch a few over a cup of coffee and you'll get the general idea of what needs to come off the car every time you need to work on something that's crammed in there.

Mod Mini Channel

20. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    For me it was super easy and fast. I did not even get my hands dirty.

I took my car to Helix, I sat in the shop and surfed the web and in about an hour it was done. :Thumbsup::lol::lol::lol: