1st Gen R53 Cooper S Power/starting issue

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by lr19, Oct 15, 2016.

1. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay so I have been having a starting issue, alternator was replaced, stater was replaced, I had the battery tested but was told it was low but good, so I charged it up , put it back in my car and it started up (not great but started) once shutting off the next start was rough I held the key maybe 5 seconds before it's fired up, the cranking was super slow, seems the more I start the worse it gets, I still think battery is bad, maybe not holding a charge? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    That sounds like a failing battery, to me. How was it tested? How old is it? Have you tried jump starting the car to see if it starts better?

CD

3. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just took to auto zone and they tested on bigger multimeter it looked like, no load test was done,and battery is 2013, no I never thought to jump start

4. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If all they used was a multi-meter, that's not enough. The O'Riley's close to me does a full load test for free.

A jump start isn't definitive, but if it cranks right up, it would be another indication that the battery is the problem.

CD

5. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya I'm going to check with some
    Local stores around me, will I need to fully charge the battery again to get a good test?

6. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any suggestions on battery brands if that's the issue? I have a duralast gold now

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Well, it is hard to say, many brands are made by a small group of manufacturers. I understand Duralast and DieHard are made by the same company.

I have an Interstate battery, that was installed by the dealership I bought the car from four years ago.

CD

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Autozone will charge your battery for free and I thought they use to load test them. It's not unheard of that a three year old battery is causing starting problems in a MINI.

9. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update... installed new battery seems better but still very long rough start, not sure where to go from here

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The start....
    Is it a slow rumbly start?
    Lumpy?
    Or just a slow chug...smooth, but long to fire?

Has the basics been done....hate to say speak plugs, wires, and coil terminals as a good spot to start...
    Since many plugs last so long, many folks kinda ignore them, but a MINI with a pulley can need a set every 30,000 miles, and that is the OEM $$$ MULTI electrode version that has a long life....
    Does it get worse when the car sits off, but key in the "on" postion?
    Only on cold starts and ok if it's warm?

11. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Slow just very noisy, you can hear the stater spinning loud, hard to explain, the part that gets me is I had no starting issue before I had in shop to get oil pan gasket fixed, then when I get it back they tel me they think the starter is going out so replaced starter and battery still same thing happening

12. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes. That right there is it.

When you talked to them were they aware that this starter issue didn't exist before they worked on it? Did they have any explanation? Do you get the feeling that they will own it? If a shop refuses to admit they made a mistake, then you have to decide whether or not you are willing to go to war. That's a whole other topic.

As far as getting the car fixed, first step is never go back to that shop. Are you able to find recommendations for Mini service near you? If so, go where other Mini owners have had good luck. If not, then what are your local repair options?

On the DIY level, I'd go to an auto parts store and read and record your OBD codes. Lots of stores will do this for free. Post them here, and Google them.

I'm interested in the big picture, the history. Like your trunk/hood light being on, then getting fixed by magic.

When you have a pattern of weird electrical glitches that come and go, that points to a BCM or ECU type problem. Like clogged sunroof drains leading to water on the BCM (body computer, near the passenger footwell under the carpets) which leads to all manner of ghostly weirdness.

Besides that, and the codes, can you post a chronological outline of the whole history? How many owners, were they commuters, Sunday drivers, racers/modders? How did the car run on day 1? What happened next, step by step. Short bullet points are good.

Maybe somebody else has a better suggestion, but in my mind that's the way to proceed.

13. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When I brought it into them it was for an oil leak, they detected the oil pan gasket was leaking, also I told them some times when at stop light my car would randomly appear to loose power and die, they said they thought that might be the alternator. So they relaxed that while doing the oil pan gasket, when I picked it up it barely started the guy said he thinks the starter was bad, maybe caused by the oil leak cause the stater was covered in oil. So I put the starter in yesterday myself, still wasn't right took battery for check they said it wasn't taking charge right, so got a new battery. Still not right, I have had the car for about 3 months and has been in the shop for about a month of that time, when I first got it everything was great then all the sudden everything came like a wave. To my knowledge it has had one owner they were older couple. Also the hood/trunk light has came back on since I posted it went off. I think I'm going to take to a mini dealer and see what they can Do. I don't know where to go from here I don't wanna keep taking it to local guys when maybe mini can pinpoint and fix my problem for good

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok re check everything. Make sure all connections are clean and tight also make sure the bolt under the + sign near the air cleaner is clean and tight. Check all the ground wires and make sure they are connect and clean.

Let us know what you find

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    How many miles are on the MINI and what Plugs and Coil is on the car? If you do not know about the plugs change them yourself.

Non OEM plugs cause issues and a Red (MSD) coil is just bad news.

16. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

170 k on car not sure about coils or plugs, it just seems to me that it had to be something they did when doing the oil pan, cause didn't do it until that point

17. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    With 170k on the car, I would replace the coil, and wires anyway, if they haven't been done recently. Go genuine, not after market so-called performance.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ This all day long. :Thumbsup:

19. lr19

lr19 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What oem come in minis? Any local stores sell them or is that something I gotta get online