2nd Gen R56 Cooper S which is the faulty one?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by genik, Feb 5, 2017.

1. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Suppose i got two timing chain tensioners in my hands and one of the two im told that is a faulty one, how can i tell which one it is?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    MINI went through something like 5 design changes on the tensioner.... If the two that are in your hands are not the latest.... They are both suspect...

Tensioners can go bad if the internal spring relaxes, resulting in the chain not getting the proper tension...

Tensioners can go bad if proper oil isn't used or the oil change interval isn't maintained... They can stick or bind up from oil contaminants and not apply the proper tension.

Tensioners can operate at the wrong tension if the oil level isn't maintained or the oil pressure drops... Even on the latest version....

MINI doesn't publish spring tension on new tensioners.... Measure the tension on a new version tensioner, and as a starting point, compare it to the two in your hand... That would give you a good indication if the two are good or bad....

MINI went through a number of length changes with their various versions... Some are shorter... Some are longer...

Even with a new latest version tensioner, if the valve train assembly has been damaged, even the latest version won't do much for you.... They all work together and need to be within specification..... In other words.... If you have holes in your tire... Don't expect new air to do much good....

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^ Ok I don't have a clue I just wanted to sound smart:D

4. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I think im covered.

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    MINI did a recall on timing chain/tensioners on the R56. Check with your MINI dealer to see if you are covered. You may get them replaced for free, if you are covered.

I got my timing chain and tensioners replaced for free a couple years ago under the recall.

CD