1st Gen R53 Cooper S Drive side window regulator and motor

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tummi_Gummi, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I have replaced my window regulator, track and motor 3 times now on my mini. About once a year. It will work fine then I'll start to hear nasty crunching and snapping in the spool housing off the motor. They've all failed the same way, the steel cable frays and stretches and destroys the plastic spool. I've only purchased oriellys dorman or other make parts. My question is, must I go OEM? Or is there something I'm not doing right? The track system comes pre lubed. Should I add lube to the spool housing as an extra measure or just shell out the 400$ on the OEM kit. It's been messed up since I got the car. The first time it broke I found the wiring harness was cut and soldered backwards but the window was rolling up and down as it should with the switch. I reversed it and it was opposite. I've checked tension on the window seal and it seems to match my passenger side. I also line up my window with my finger tip gap same as the passenger side has. It's really just getting old having to replace it. My windows stuck partially down. But the cars undergoing some maintenance so I'm not driving it anyways but would like to get this taken care of before the other stuff is done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    If your dealer is trying to get $400 bucks for a window regulator... try a different dealer. But the benefit of going through them is the 2year unlimited mileage warranty. Might be worth replacing the motor as well, if you haven't done that already.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I replaced my regulator with one from Rock auto, that lasted a year. I now have an OEM one. I paid about $170 I think.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I usually have to replace the motor as the cable grinds down the motor housing and chews up the gear on it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk