2nd Gen R56 Cooper S R56 Coolant leak at Thermostat?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Zapski, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    So last week I developed a leak. Yay me.

Looking under the car I found this:

[​IMG]

So I took off the intake and looked around. Right in the center of this photo is a small pool of coolant, directly underneath the HPFP, and of course right below that is the thermostat.

[​IMG]

So cramming my camera down into that abyss, and shooting forward I got this:

[​IMG]

So that looks like the thermostat to me.

The problem is that this week is a really inconvenient week for me to be without my car. This is my daily, and I have a 220 mile round trip to make on Wednesday. I've been filling the reservoir every morning, and actually (rashly?) made that same trip over the weekend once without an issue. I just made sure the coolant was full before I left each way.

The question is this: Would a sealant buy me some time, like a week, or should I just suck it up and take the car in to Best Motor Werks now?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Zapski DON'T put any sealant in there. It will very likely gum up your heater core & possibly your rad. Carry a gallon of distilled water with you for you trip. Your MINI needs a new Jarvik 7 aka thermostat & housing. They all do sooner or later.

When you get the time Anson can do the heart transplant.

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Is Water is better than 50/50 coolant?

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    It is when you are spilling it on the street as you drive. Just hope that the temperature doesn't go to freezing, while you are waiting to repair it.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Zapski 50/50 is better, but water is OK too. If we get a big cold snap water might not be best. Anson will do a transfusion when he replaces the Jarvik 7 so don't worry about diluting the coolant.

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Oops, it seems to be getting worse. I have an appointment at the garage tomorrow. Time to arrange other transport. Le sigh. :/