2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Broken Timing Chain

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by sguerrero1971, Apr 3, 2017.

1. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I lost my timing chain last week. So, now it's time to see what is out there that is better than stock for replacement parts.

So, are there kits that have improved chains in them? Also, since I am going to be in the engine anyway, I thought I might ask what else I could do to get me down the road for a while. I bought this Mini used with just under 100k on it. So, I was thinking maybe new rings and bearings, since I have to drop the pan to make sure no bits of the guides are in the oil pan.

Things I have done:

New valve cover
    New turbo oil lines - Detroit Tuned
    Serpentine Belt
    Water Pump
    Oil Filter assembly gasket replaced.
    Solid flywheel and clutch
    Craven Short Shifter

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You didn't say what year and model MINI you have, but from my reading, there were some out of spec timing chains in 2009 and earlier cars, other than that I don't think the chain has changed since the 2010 model year on the Prince engine. The problem was with the timing chain tensioner. There have been a few different part numbers on tensioners, the latest tensioner, p/n 11317607551, seems to have finally fixed the problem.

MINIs area niche car, I would be surprised if anyone other than the manufacturer has a timing chain for it.

The Prince engine is a zero clearance engine, so if the timing chain failed you will have valve and piston damage too.

3. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry it is an '07 S.

Yeah I am aware of the zero clearance issue, and know I'll have some damage. We'll see what I run into when I get the motor opened up.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #4 Metalman, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    If you pull the head to do an inspection, you'll need the gasket kit for misc. head-attached parts. Then you decide which thickness head gasket to buy --- not included in this kit. Mini dealers also sell a timing chain replacement kit --- much less costly than individual parts. Then there's all the one-use bolts that need to be replaced.

If you do the work yourself, you're gonna need a Bentley manual (tightening sequence and torque values) and ready access to the RealOEM illustrated parts list. Don't forget the "special tools" required, plus an extensive set of normal tools. For an '07S, repair costs might be more than the book value --- get it apart and diagnosed before buying more stuff.

Let us know what you find?

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  7. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the info, I will get it broken open and we'll see what I am working with.

8. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    was it the stupid cam driven pump that caused the chain failure?

9. gonepostal

gonepostal New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was told there was a timing chain recall of sorts last year. Didn't get a recall..