2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Gen 2 Power Steering

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Qik, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #1 Qik, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    The past couple weeks I've noticed, what sounds like low power steering fluid whine. Not so much when I turn the wheel but right after startup at idle. If I turn the wheel the noise doesn't get louder.
    Question is, if the second Gen has elec. assist and not the traditional hydraulic powered I'm used to, what could the noise be? I'm set to have her checked out next week as a preventative measure, but hoping it's something I can do on my own.
    Is there some sort of lubrication system associated with the steering that could be low? I've never paid much attention to the system as a whole on my MINI.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    All I know is yours is the first post I've read about Gen 2 power steering. Gen 1 has had loads of problems until the Gen 1.5 face lift. Have you looked in your Bentley Manual? Let us know how it works out. Here's hoping it is nothing major. :fingerscrossed:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Could it be your serpentine belt slipping on startup?

Gen 2 is all electric steering...

4. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so? Will check out the belt tonight, that's a good thought there Metalman. I don't hear any squealing, just that whine you hear when a car is low on power steering fluid, but without the change in sound as the wheel turns. I'll be going under the hood tonight to poke around and listen, look for leaks, cracks, etc. The only reason I think it's steering is because of the sound. Don't know what else would make that noise in this car. Water pump? I have no idea really. Will keep y'all posted!

5. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully not a turbo bearing.

Gen 2 EPAS system.

Attached Files:

6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Me too! If it is though, I got warranty for that :) Thanks for the pic!

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, it's not the power steering, the electric motor only runs as you turn the wheel, so it won't make any sound as you're sitting there idling.

I would also check the serpentine belt, just for fun.......could be the belt tensioner bearing too

If it were a turbo bearing, the sound would not be linear with engine rpms. So if the sound follows the engine rpm, you need to look for something that also does - such as the idler bearing, A/C compressor bearing, alternator and so on.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks for the direction Dave!

9. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Do you have the original plastic water pump? They can get noisy when they start to go bad.

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    A good way to find noisy bearings is with a stethoscope....Harbor Freight sells them for $4.00

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html

Or use a long screwdriver, place the tip against something solid near the bearing you want to hear and put your ear over the end of the screwdriver - it will clearly amplify the sounds