1st Gen R53 Cooper S 2005 cooper s 155k?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Liberty_prime420, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Liberty_prime420

Jun 17, 2017
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone new to the forum and looking to get my first mini. Looking at a black 2005 s with 155k miles on it. It's the best offer I have found but are the high miles an issue with these. And I do know there are lots of variable that come into play as well but more or less worried about miles. Any input would be much appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

have a MINI mechanic go over the car to see what problems it might have. My '06 S has around 122k and has had a hard life at the track and on various trips to and from the tail of the dragon, plus twisty driving and use as a daily driver. I keep it maintained well and hope to see it live on to 200k or better [if I live that long...lol].

where are you located? I am in SW Ohio and take my S to Best Motor Werks in Columbus or to the MINI dealer in Dublin, Ohio. an '05 or '06 s is said to be the best S ever made but age gets us all and cars, too, so having the car gone over by a certified MINI mechanic should ease any concerns you might have.

3. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    With those miles the questions are:
    Has the Supercharger been replaced or oil changed? (Not that tough but time consuming job)
    Has the belt tensor been changed? (Fairly easy)
    Has the timing chain "tensioner" been changed (easy job, timing chains themselves are lifetime, unless your doing a motor rebuild)
    If it's an owner, ask how often the oil was changed? (OEM spec for oil changes is a little too long for most of us)
    Manual transmission... Has the clutch been changed?

That's all I can think of right now, in general the engine itself, when maintained properly, should be good for at least 250k.

4. Liberty_prime420

Jun 17, 2017
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm gona get one from a local private dealer who specializes in minis. And i don't know anything about the car yet but will soon. Also I'm in Oregon. And yea I want an 05 or 06. I want the supercharged not the turbo.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Yea as has been said have it looked over well. They are great cars but they need to be maintained. My 02 has about the same milage but I have been very picky about how I have maintained it.

6. Liberty_prime420

Jun 17, 2017
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I will post more about it as soom as i know more about it. Going to pay 5k. They go for around 6-7 in my area if not more.

7. z_wrecker

z_wrecker Member

Apr 14, 2017
    CHarlottesville, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I purchased my 06 with 145K I think couple of months ago. Previous owner had it maintained by a "mini mechanic" as he called it. They did just the basics, oil, filter and replaced the oxygen sensors. The owner prior to him did all the maintenance and you could tell was an enthusiast. Since then I've continued maintenance and tackled preventative maintenance as well ( SC oil, gearbox fluid, gaskets, PS...) Car is running incredibly well and it is a blast to drive.