2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Grease (looks like grease, maybe oil) on back of engine and around it

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Jul 5, 2017.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I just noticed a grease looking type mark on the rear of my engine and a little on the surrounding area. It also looks like its on or possibly coming out of a large looking tube connecting to the back of the engine. I could just be worrying and its been there since I've got thr car and jusy noticed it tonight when I shine a light in the bay. Ill also try to get a better pick of the hoae.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Looks OK to me. It's an engine & engines have a habit of weeping seeping & sometimes leaking oil. Do you pull the dipstick & check the oil? Is it OK or are you having to add to keep the level up? You dealer can fix that for you, but then your wallet will be leaking copious amounts of $$$. Keep an eye on things it will be fine.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    It appears you have a leak!:D

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'd call it a seep..... Your car is seeping. :sleep:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    It looks like a small older leak. If you are not seeing any oil loss I would not worry. You could get some Simple Green and glean the engine to find where it is coming from. But I am with Chuck I would not worry. But then agin I am an old Alfa guy, if an Alfa isn't leaking its out of oil.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As long as its your car seeping and not you!

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Some suggestions from me....

The problem with some engine leaks is the air currents around the engine can blow fluids around a bit... So that can be tricky to pinpoint...

That big aluminum square boxy thing with the two hose / pipe fittings is your HPFP and it's camshaft driven... So seals / gasket could be seeping a little...

Also, the plastic valve cover has a large gasket that requires a few spots of RTV to seal properly at a few parting lines in the aluminum head... If the RTV wasn't used when / if the valve cover has ever been off, it could be suspect.

Lastly.... The MINI turbo has an electric water circulator that has had a recall and the thermostat housing also is know to leak.... Might it be antifreeze and not oil collecting dust dirt?

8. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    I gotta agree with all the above. However if it bothers you, consider this --- the large black tube above the "grease spot" is for coolant --- not likely the problem area. On the same end of your engine, but in the front (towards the radiator) is the oil filter / cooler housing. If this area of the block also shows signs of "seeping", there's a high probability that its seals are shot. A stronger suspect area would be valve cover gasket --- really bad seal area around the curved surface (over the HPFP). Again, clean it up then monitor the area --- shouldn't be a major DIY effort.

9. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When you say seeping, this is all I can think of now. http://jalo.ps/nvBq5bl

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Looks like one fine milkshake there. :lol: