2nd Gen R56 Cooper S New here, dreaded P1497 code.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by KiloG, Jul 20, 2017.

1. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 KiloG, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Im getting the P1497 code, downstream air leak. Rough idle and no power/boost like before.

2009 Mini cooper turbo S 6speed

What I have done and what is done.

New timing chain/tensioner ect from dealership ( yay 3600 gone. )
    New valve cover

Have sprayed starting fluid all around the valve cover/clamps from turbo to throttle body, no response from motor. I cannot hear any vacuum leaks.

What I did recently that brought up the issue.

The tube on the water pump was cracked so i had to remove the intake manifold to replace it, when I put the manifold back on with brand new gaskets i made sure everything was clamped down and tight. Started the car and instantly started idling rough and throwing the code. Car ran perfectly for months before I did this.

I searched on this forum and came across a thread where the guys injector was missing the Teflon seal, maybe this is a possible issue but wouldn't see why it would throw that code. I didn't mess with any of that.

Id rather not take it to mini to get charged 260 for them to tell me it was something simple.

Help!!!!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I would go back through every thing you took off and make sure you did not miss anything or have something out of place. If I had a dime for every time something like this has happened to me just to find I put something together wrong of something got caught in the wrong place when I put it back together I would be rich.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Do a smoke test. If you do a search for "Smoke test car" on YouTube, you will see a few videos on how to build a cheap smoke tester to find vacuum leaks.

4. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good advice, although I guess I forgot to mention that I have done this 3 times now, the 3'rd time was to put on new intake gaskets, I can practically take it all apart and put it back together with my eyes closed in under 20 minutes.

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Sorry I cannot add anything for you to try but I can Welcome you to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the internet !!

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    MAF sensor connected? The symptoms you're describing match what will happen with an unplugged MAF. Ask me how I know... ;)

7. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Downstream air leak means air loss someplace between turbo and throttle body. Since you've been playing with the manifold, it's likely a bad connection or defective hose --- the elbow at the manifold. The hose clamp needs to be mounted squarely with respect to the manifold. Could also be a cracked manifold --- they're not the best material. Best bet has already been suggested --- smoke test.

8. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When i unplugged the MAF it actually threw a bunch of different codes, so thats definitely not it.

Looks like ill be building some kind of smoke machine and going from there.

9. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, cleaned the maf, that didn't do anything. Sprayed a whole can of brake cleaner, that didn't do anything. Tried the smoke test, that didn't do anything, no leaks at all.

My friend works at a dealership and put a scanner on the car and this is the only thing that pops up.

http://imgur.com/a/qUHkX

Any ideas?

10. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes - I'm somewhat new to MINIs but that error code after you did a smoke test tells me the sensor maybe bad. Do you have someone close that you can pull their maf and put it on yours to test?

What did your dealer tech buddy say?

11. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to try another maf , but my buddy works at a chevy dealer, used thier fancy tool, not a mini dealer so he's not 100% sure.

The car is now in limp mode 100% of the time I drive it. Great

12. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    That sucks, I can say recently I would building a turbo car and could not get the thing to idle or run well. After banging my head for hours looking for vacuum leaks etc.. changed that out and bam worked fine. Not 100% sure that is your issue but sure does sound like it if smoke test didn't show anything. Where are you located?

13. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont have a MAF laying around unfortunately and nobody i know with a mini. I live in central texas.

14. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Little update on another thing I have tried, I pulled the rubber hose off the OUTLET ( pressure side ) of the turbo, and built an adapter out of PVC with a pressure gauge to allow me to add air with a compressor. I only took the system up to 15 PSI but I could not hear any leaking throughout the whole system, I put my ear up to every corner of the valve cover, nothing! This is so confusing and irritating all at the same time, im running out of options here.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Wish I could help. But please keep posting updates, it may help another Mini owner.

16. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pulled the valve cover off today to inspect once again, nothing wrong with it, no cracks no oil leaks nothing. I sprayed a whole can of brake cleaner on the outside and will drive it for a few days to see if any oil spots show up, but I doubt it. This is so frustrating.

I should note - before when this first started happening i would just get a check engine light and it would give me the 1497 code, now the car goes into limp mode about 1-3 minutes after i clear the codes, and then about 5 minutes after that the check engine light finally comes on.

17. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So today I noticed a humming sound coming from the general area of the vacuum pump or whatever it is on the side of the motor by the turbo AFTER the car is turned OFF.

Can anyone verify this is normal?

18. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The vacuum pump is on the end of the camshaft on the head.

You are probably hearing the turbocharger cooling pump, it is under the turbocharger on the side of the engine on the front side of the car.
    It is normal to hear it after the engine is shut down.

19. KiloG

KiloG New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ohh okay, yeah the little black thing attached to the turbo housing, it did sound like that was what was making the noise.

Well still no luck, I really really do not want to take the car to Mini, mainly because its a 2 hour drive and id have to wait there while they would fix it, so id have to drive the car in limp mode 2 hours and HOPE they can fix it the same day. Really sucks!

20. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Could you get it towed to the dealer? You could even ride in the tow truck and then get a loaner at the dealer.