1st Gen R53 Cooper S Clutch replace in a 2006 S

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by matchframe, Jul 24, 2017.

1. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Video Tech for Boeing at NASA Houston
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My son's '06 Mini S clutch is is starting to slip in the higher gears so it is time to replace. I bought the Valeo kit and we will start pulling everything apart this week. I have watched the YouTube video of a guy replacing the clutch and have a good idea of what all to do. Is there a detailed list somewhere that has the process of pulling the trans?

Thanks!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I replaces the rear main seal and the slave cylinder at the same time. Also don't forget to replace the guide tube. I am not sure what video you watched but dropping the sub frame really makes it easer. So when you have it down you may want to put some lower control arm bushings on it, if it hasn't been done. Use the PowerFlex bushings .

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Also when I did my clutch I did a refresh on the car. With the sub frame out I replaced my PS hoses and changed it over to good clamps. Then fixed all the oil leaks and anything els I could find.

4. chuckt

chuckt New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #4 chuckt, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    I just did the clutch on my '06 a couple months ago. The throwout bearing was complete toast (125K), but the guide tube looked brand new... YMMV

5. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Simpsonville, South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #5 Ujin, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    If you watched ModMini's video on you tube it isn't bad. Be prepared for the "one bolt" just to the rear and below the thermostat. Almost no tool fits in there, had to use a box wrench. And, ended up moving the wiring harness around a bit too. Otherwise, not a bad job. Also, be carful of the shifter cable mount. It will be brittle most likely and the transmission is a bit oddly shaped and may get sideways coming out. All of the above recommendations are a good idea as well, since you will have easy access to all the suspension and rear main seal.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Amen on that one bolt!! Some engineer is laughing is rear off about the placement on that one. The first clutch I did on a R53 i took off as little as I could. I did a bit of a refresh on that car also but tried to save some work. The second one I did I was pulled and un plugged more. I am not suer what I did but I was able to get to that top bolt easer.

I know you may just want to do just the clutch but you will have a good amount of the engine bay apart. This makes it easy to get to a lot of stuff. I would fix every thing I could. I can not tell you how glad I am that I took the time to do all the extra work.

Also if you change the clutch slave cylinder it is a #$$^&&^ to bleed! But I finally found the trick. Put the clutch pedal on the floor, then use a pressure bleeder or a vacuum type. Have the slave cylinder unbolted from the car with it compressed and hold the bleed value so it is up to help get the air out. Once you have the air out bolt the slave on the car and pull the clutch pedal up and it should work. I tried to bleed the system with the pedal up, you can do it but it is much harder because air gets trapped at the pedal.

7. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Everything everyone else said plus this: You have to support the engine when you pull the engine. Angle the transmission end down without damaging those things that are attached. When you go back in use a engine hoist or cherry picker and chain through the cast in loop on the transmission. You will need to wiggle the transmission to get the clutch lined up on the input shaft and it is hard to do if the transmission is on a floor jack. If you can pick up the transmission while laying on your back wiggling it into place isn't a problem.

8. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips and advice!! I really do appreciate it. Every little bit helps.

I started yesterday and have the front bumper off and radiator out. I can only work an hour or two each afternoon so I can only do a little at a time. I picked up an engine support bar and I do have a cherry picker as well.

This is the video I have been studying to get a good idea of what to expect: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83t1MoklcIs"]2002-06 MINI Cooper S Clutch Replacement Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

9. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    IMG_3237_zpsazjky2z4.jpg Here is where I left off from the first day's work:

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Oh man what fun! :D I watched that same video the first time I did it. All I had was a floor jack and motorcycle jack. I used my motorcycle jack to support the engine. If the front of the engine is covered in a sooty oily gunk you need to change the green seal on the supercharger. From the picture it looks like it needs it.
    Good luck take lots of pictures

11. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I do not know how many miles you have on the car, but if you have it this far down consider changing the oil in the supercharger. I would also look closely at the belt tensioner. Water pumps generally last 100,000 miles but you are already there.

12. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I had to change out the belt tensioner about a year ago so that should be good. I will change out the SC oil, I had not thought of that. I think there is about 95,000 miles on the car. Since my son drives it I don't recall the exact miles it has. I also plan to replace the belt since this one looks like it is showing some age. Good advice on the water pump too.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    A 15% SC pulley would be a nice gift to your son, I mean the SC will be off anyway. Make sure the crank pulley is not getting cracks in it. Now that I think of it you could through a nice exhaust on it for him.

Aren't you glad we are such great help spending your money?:D

14. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I replaced the stock flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing with the Valeo clutch kit. Working on this is slow since I am only able to work between rain bands so I can only work about an hour or so a day. I FINALLY got the trans back in. Before I went any further on getting everything back together, I bolted the slave cylinder to make sure the clutch release was working right.

I watched the slave cylinder while my son pressed the clutch pedal and the travel for the arm the slave cylinder pushes is only about 1/2 an inch. Should the lever travel more than that?

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    How does the clutch feel?

16. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    It feels easier to push than before. You can tell it is pushing against the clutch but is is a lot easier, not as firm. I understand that going to a Valeo clutch from a stock clutch is does feel easier but this is really noticeable.

Do you think I may need to bleed the slave cylinder? I did not take the slave off the line when I took everything apart to get the trans out.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    If you didn't open the system you should not need to bleed it. I have done two Valeo clutches and they both were much lighter. On my 02 it was a huge difference. With the stock clutch I would get a leg workout.

18. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Ok cool.

Thanks!

19. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My son is on his way back to school in the Mini today! We finished the clutch install along with several preventive maintenance things done. I also replaced the oil in the super charger and replaced the water pump.

During the test drive on Sunday we discovered that the inner ball joint on the drivers side had a stripped thread through the control arm. The nut was still there but it could not be tightened which caused a left pull when acceleration. Not sure how that happened since I did not do anything with the ball joints. Just something we did not know about before this. Got a new ball joint and installed it yesterday. We have a lifetime alignment with Firestone so I have an appointment on Saturday morning when we bring the rest of his stuff to him. That way we can drop the Mini off while we finish getting him moved in.

Thanks so much for all the information and advice on the clutch replacement. I really appreciate it!!

20. matchframe

matchframe Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Dickinson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0