2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Plugged PCV on back of valve cover?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Sep 13, 2017.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel like this might be a dumb question. I searched but couldn't find a definitive anwser. Buy in the back of the valve cover by the air box. There is a plug in the PCV that seems like it can be removed. I never new it was blocked. For a while my idle was kinda sporadic. It would idle between 640 rpm and 820 rpm usually balance at 730ish rpms but after some driving and coming to a stop it would fluctuate between 640 and 820 then stable out. I unplugged it and ran it for a little, drove it, then idled and it stayed at a consistent 780-830 idle. Should it be plugged? Why is it plugged? From my basic understanding of how PCV works it shouldn't be. But I'm most likely wrong. (Pic for reference but a black if with a oring not a red pull plug)[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    That is just for shipping, you are supposed to remove it when it is installed.

3. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to make sure. I'm not asking about the red part. I'm asking about this plug that was in it. Is this part supposed to stay in or be removed?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    There should have been a small valve included with the new valve cover...

You remove the plug with the red handle and then snap in the valve in the opening formally occupied with the dummy plug...