1st Gen R53 Cooper S Tell me about roof racks for the R53

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by fishmonger, Sep 15, 2017.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    #1 fishmonger, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    I don't have a truck any longer, so now my bicycles and ski need to travel by Mini. The bike I can usually fit in by taking out the wheels, but then nothing else fits in the back.

However, 90% of the time, I don't want that rack on the car, so is there one that can be removed? I don't want to drill holes into the car if I can avoid it.

Load capacity doesn't have to be very high, one bicycle, or a pair of ski and a snowboard max.

in particular - anyone have the Yakima or Thule setups that seem to be no-drill options?

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    For bikes, I have a boot mount rack that is held on by straps.
    it holds two bikes.

[​IMG]

for snowboards, skis and everything else because the ski holders can be removed, I have a set of universal roof racks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you need to be careful that the car is very clean and the mounting pads are clean when putting them on or your paint is going to get scratched pretty good.

3. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I've been contemplating the hitch mount for bikes. The temporary roof rack is a good idea once you cover the bike with a hitch mount. I don't ski that much and would be anal about keeping the paint clean :D Your solution also looks a lot cheaper than any of the Yakima or Thule setups I've seen. In fact, those are so expensive, I will wait as long as I can before buying a rack. The bike does fit in the car with the front wheel removed (rear seat delete), but if I should want to bring it to the mountains half way across the country, I'd need something external. Not sure I want to put my nice Cervelo R5 behind the car where it'll get grimy on longer drives. roof means bugs, but behind the car it just picks up everything you usually wipe off the rear window.

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I was just about to suggest looking into hitch-mounted racks. They are usually more expensive, but can completely disappear (my hitch hid behind the light in the rear bumper) It's probably easier to mount/dismount the bike without having to lift it over the car as well. Every behind-the-car bike rack I've seen (that isn't hitch mounted) used body clips and straps that wear on paintwork over time... I wouldn't want one of those at all, but I'm auto detailing OCD. :D

5. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I'd be more concerned for my bike than the paint on that Mini. The bike was more expensive...

6. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I use a hitch mount with a 1upusa rack. Check out Seasucker racks for something completely different.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    interesting concept, those suction cup racks. Too bad the bike rack can't serve as board rack as well. Basically, $300 for a bike rack is ok, but another $350 for ski/snowboard pushes the price into fully configured Thule territory. Quicker to attach as long as you keep your paint absolutely perfectly clean, I guess. Need to do some research, but this doesn't look bad. Sunroof on the car may be an issue with where you can mount the suction pods best, but it also adds some stability. The slicktop red Mini we have feels a bit wobbly soft up there to be placing loads on the sheetmetal.

8. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    They are interesting, I use a tablet holder from them, it's pretty useful.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Actually, those on my rack aren't suction cups. They are just rubber pads. Then there are metal spring straps that pull it against the gutter. They lock so you don't rip the gutter apart.

I worried about the paint scratching for the longest time. But then, it's a 12+ year old car and the paint still shines pretty good. So as long as the pads and car surface are clean, and have a good coat of wax on the car surfaces, it should be okay.

I wanted to get a trailer hitch mount but thought twice about it when it involved drilling to mount the trailer hitch. I was alos concerned about added weight to the rear suspension even with the bike mount removed. So I decided against it. Still...I only use the bike rack a couple of times a year and the ski racks a few more times than that.

I got both at garage sales about 8 years ago. I think the roof racks were $20 and the bike rack $10. I could probably turn around and sell them for the same prices too.

10. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I checked out universal racks on various sites, but I only found those that had a strap go through windows the car doesn't have in back. None with metal straps to the gutter. Would love to find something like the one you have, given the use would be limited. My bike does fit in back for most of the times I need to move it somewhere and that really is only 3 or 4 times a year.

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Yah....you need to strap it down to limit the movement and cover any part that can rub with a towel or something.

12. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Interesting...I just took a look and it looks like almost all of them mount on roof rails that are common on SUVs or sold as options on cars like a Countryman.

For those that grab the window or door frame, check and see if they come with metal hooks (for lack of a better term) to grab gutters. Most current cars don't have gutters anymore for the sake of eeking out a few extra feet per gallon in fuel mileage.