2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Code P0974 - car will not start

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by RainerCar, Nov 11, 2017.

1. RainerCar

RainerCar New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I am new to this forum.
    I have a 2010 Mini Cooper S Turbo, with 48,000 mi.. Just completed a timing chain guide replacement. Also replaced leaking seals on thermostat housing and filter housing assy.
    The last work was the timing chain guide service.
    Car started and ran good, have a engine light on for code P0302 and P0303, but only when it was running, would not store the code, "No code found", when engine is off, but started and runs OK.
    Went for a 4 mile test drive, parked the car, when i came back from shopping the car would not restart ! No sound of started... Had it towed to my house and checked for codes. shows: P0974 code, indicating:
    Shift solenoid A control circuit high.
    What could have caused this fault, which now prevents car from starting ?
    What should I check ?

( had posted this at the 1st gen mini site in error...)

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Hi Welcome to MA! If codes are showing up when it rains then it sounds like something is getting water in it that shouldn't. Go back and take your time check every connection you touched or could have accidentally unplugged and make sure they are all plugged in well and are tight and dry. I know this is a pain to do but I would start there. This started after you worked on the car. You know how many times I have heard my wife say "well it didn't do that before you worked on it" I always tell her I didn't do it only to find something I did do.:D I hate eating crow!
    When you say you hear no sound of start you mean the starter is not even turning over? If so check all grounds and battery cables to make sure they are tight and clean. Also check your fuses. I know you may have done some or all of this already but thats where I would start.

Please let us know what you find

3. RainerCar

RainerCar New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer.
    Just before my test trip, I had flushed the coolant off the upper transmission ( coolant was from a minor leak after heat-up) with water and then blowed-dried with air.
    Water may have gotten in a connector...
    I do hear a hum coming from the front when trying to start.
    I am also getting a yellow waning on dash, after trying to start, one that looks like a gear with an exclamation mark in the center.
    Per the manual, it says that the "Automatic selector locked"
    or "Brake signal malfunctioning"

I will investigate further this morning...

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Do you have an automatic?

5. RainerCar

RainerCar New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, its an automatic.
    I checked all my connections. still no start.
    Checked the fuses 5 amp and 40 amp in pass footwell. Fuses good.
    Then, car would start again. Ran 15 to 17 miles, several start-stop cycles. All good. Then lost all functions again, and battery went dead over night. Charged battery, will not crank, appears, as if not enough power...
    Checked ground connection at pass side motor mount (which I had off during timing chain guide replacement). Found the connection loose !
    Tightened. Now starter wants to work, but will not turn engine more than 1/4 turn at a time. As if not enough power at the starter...
    Battery is 100 % charged, I turned engine at the crank, to be sure, its not locked, turns freely against compression, normal.
    I am lost... Could it be the starter ?
    I will inspect the starting circuit tomorrow, as well as the starter, I think it is OK, but will check it anyway. Leaning toward a bad ground connection some where...

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    How old is the battery? Minis get really flaky when the battery starts going bad. Have a load test done on the battery.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Buy new battery now. They don’t last forever.

8. RainerCar

RainerCar New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The battery is original, so 7 years old.
    I did some additional trouble shooting...
    I jumped the starter from the battery by by-passing the key start circuit and it started right up. But it still will not start with the key.
    Drove the car to a local Mini shop, that has a good reputation.
    Asked them to do a diagnosis.
    They said, they are only getting 5 to 6 volts to the starter thru the key circuit., not 12 volts.
    They said, that the CAS module is bad and needs to be replaced.
    $1200.00, labor is approx 700.00, off that diagnostic is probably 1 hour. (shop rate is 155.00)
    part is 460.00. So approx 4 hours to R/R and re-program, if necessary.
    We are going to try another key that we have to eliminate that as the cause.
    Thinking of having a dealer run a diagnosis, 2nd opinion, I guess.
    Dealer quoted me $1,341.00 to replace the CAS unit, the part cost at the dealer is $641.00. So the dealer labor is similar to the local shop.
    Just wondering, if that is the root cause. Hate to flip-flop from one repair place to another...
    Used CAS modules are for sale on Ebay for $50 to 80.00, incl shipping, but I don't know what is involved to pair/synch the module with the car.
    What need to be done to install a used module ? Any programming ?

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Yes I believe it does have to be programed. I am not sure about a used one, I would be very careful with that. Trying a new key could work. I would not feel bad about getting a second opinion. I do all my own work but when I first bought my R53 I took it to a shop because I had a anti lock problem and I needed it put on their machine to see what was failing. They told me it needed a new Antilock brake module. It was going to cause $1300 plus programing. By chance I was at the dealer on a Saturday talking to the service writer and he put it on their machine for free. It was a wheel speed sensor. The tech said he would through it on for me for free so I bought the sensor and through the tech $50. All on the side.:D So second opinion is good.