2nd Gen R56 Cooper S In for clutch/flywheel. Wish me luck.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Redbeard, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I just dropped my MINI off for "service". Flywheel chatter is excessive and gear engagement is notchy. I had to agree to a $1,200 service fee if it was determined to be "customer abuse".

Don't believe the sales guy when they tell you the clutch is covered under the service warranty.

2010 MCS with 34k miles on the odo.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I'll be interested to see how they determine that the clutch failure was customer abuse.

3. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    "Bright Spots on the flywheel." I asked that very question.

4. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Wow - so conclusive -- dealers kill me.

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly how do bright spots on the fly wheel reveal that you have been driving your Mini like they advertise?

Tell them now that you will want the old parts if you have to pay for a new one. You payed for them so they are yours.. ;)

6. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well I wouldn't have even brought it in, but the two service guys I and my Dad normally deal with seemed pretty convinced that the dealer will "goodwill" the replacement of the parts (inclusive of labor) regardless of the "customer abuse" issue.

These guys have always taken care of me and never given me BS answers when I had uncomfortable questions. My car has 1.5 seasons of autocross plus 5 track days. Im gonna guess there are some bright spots. ;)

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Unless you slip the clutch, there's no reason for auto cross or track days to cause burn spots on your clutch - it's no harder on it than spirited street driving. IMHO.

Good luck on the replacement.

There have been a few flywheels with a manufacturing defect, the center hub fixing tabs are not peened over tight and they work loose, when they do the disc doesn't seat smoothly and that causes burn spots. Even if they warrant the clutch job, try and get a good look at the flywheel and disc for us - and for your own peace of mind.

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Guess I just have an extreme mistrust of stealership service departments from past experiences with them, not just Mini... Hope it works out for you and do at least get pics of the old parts...

9. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'll see what I can do as far as pics. Rudy the tech working on the car has been good about that kinda stuff before.

I slip the clutch everytime I go into 1st from a stop. I wasn't aware there was another way to do it... :eek:

Trackdays wouldn't be harder except the breaking/downshift spots where the guy in front of you breaks too much to early and you get hard on the brake and end up over revving to the lower gear because your foot was already on the gas as well for a rev match. That's happened more than once. :p

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Just got a call from the dealer. Flywheel is bright-spot free. The SA and Tech were stunned. The SA said it's the first he's ever seen that had NO "hot spots". I'm getting a new Clutch/Pressure Plate/Throwout bearing along with a new flywheel for $0.00.

The SA said he'd keep the parts out for me to take pics of so I should have some to post up tonight.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    All hail Redbeard.....
    Getrag shifting God.....

So did you arrive at the dealer wearing your helmet and were the numbers still on both doors?:D

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Way to go Redbeard. :Thumbsup:

At least they didn't tell you something had to be your fault since it was spot free. :lol:

Jim

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm tempted to roll up with my helmet on... LOL. :cornut:

I'm not so sure about the shifting God part but it made me laugh out loud in the office. :blush2: :D

I gotta say these guys were realyl willing to help me. I know that folks fight with thier dealership service guys a bunch. I'm lucky not to have that issue. :Thumbsup:

14. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, why do they think the clutch is the answer to your problem then?

I mean, I wouldn't put a used clutch back in either, but if it looks normal.....did they fix your problem?

And congtrats for burnishing it just enough to remove the ahem..........evidence! :D

15. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    My SA said something about un-even outer wear of the pucks on the clutch. I'll have more detail when I speak with the tech and get some pics. :Thumbsup:

16. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #16 Redbeard, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Problem gone. No more chatter or rough engagement. The clutch pedal got softer if that's even possible. Shifts nice. :)

Pics!

Tech holding the throwout bearing:
    IMG_20110323_181224.jpg

Pressure Plate:
    IMG_20110323_181217.jpg

Flywheel had excessive play in it (not really able to show in picture):
    IMG_20110323_181144.jpg

Clutch. Hard to tell but there is an odd uneven wear on one side of the clutch. BTW, that thing IS TINY!!!! :eek: :
    IMG_20110323_181159.jpg

17. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Loose flywheel.....that's the answer.

In another post (I thnk it was on this site) some one showed pics of the problems they were having with flywheels, the center section isn't
    attached properly and gets loose, when it does it causes the clutch plate to bind, release, bind etc.....

It also looks like the release bearing might have been binding on the sleeve too...

18. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a possibility. Drive to work was nice. It's funny, I just adjusted to it. So I didn't notice the clutch pedal harshness or the engagement issues as much as I should have.

The bright spots on the throwout bearing sleeve are from clutch dust landing on it getting caught in there and basically sanding the thing to a polish. That was the reason for the "stiff" clutch pedal acording to the tech. It's still NOTHING compared to the pedal in my 2005 Mustang GT. That was a stiff stock pedal.:lol:

19. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad to hear this worked out for you.....

I friend of mine after having her clutch replaced for the 2nd time (an not under warranty) started feeling the clutch slipping again and said enough. She traded her MINI in :frown2:

I don't blame her at all.

I just hope I don't have any issues- amazingly enough- the MINI is my first manual car I've ever owned :cornut:

20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Holy Revived thread! :lol:

It's been 7 months about 20k miles (Over 50k miles on the ODO now) and I think 5 track days and two autocrosses. No problems since. :Thumbsup: