2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Timing Chain Issues

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by gjn25, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you have had any issues with the anything to do with the timing chain tensioner that may or may not have had to be over hauled completely. please just put a +1 and your minis year in this thread. I'm currently trying to get an idea of how many people have had work done not just think it broken but had work done to fix your issue. I'm currently speaking with a lawyer about this issue trying to see if we can get a class action against BMW for not doing something to fix this witch is an ERROR from manufacturing!!! please I need your help so that all of us can win this together.

thank you

FYI I m not trying to make money off of this suet I m just trying to get all of use a fix that they should have done voluntarily by BMW or at least the same treatment the HP fuel pump extended warranty on fix do to failure.
    again thanks to all please just keep this thread a count avoid tilling of story's
    just a +1 and your year

(this thread is also on a few other forums so please add yourself to only one of them so the count stays as true as we can get it thank you)

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #2 Minidave, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    You're showing your ignorance of the situation.....I'm just suggesting you know your facts before spending money on a lawyer. Also, maybe a little time spent with spell-check?

it's not a manufacturing problem on the part of MINI, or even Peugeot who actually makes the engine. It's a parts problem by a supplier to Peugeot that's the real source of the trouble - at least in the early 2nd gen cars, the later cars that have had the tensioner back out are a direct result of something that happened in assembly at the engine factory - either an incompetent installer or a torque wrench that was set wrong, but by the time they found out it was a problem a number of cars had already been built and delivered, and since the problem doesn't show up right away but only with mileage how would they know which cars to recall? I think they've simply handled it as a service situation, since not even every car built in a series would have it.

I do agree that they should have been more pro-active, but I'm not sure how - do you change every tensioner when only a few are at fault?

Is your car one of the early ones where the tensioner failed or one of those later ones that had the tensioner back out?

True enough tho, it does seem like they're doing huge recalls over increasingly smaller numbers of problems.....

What kind of a fix are you campaigning for? They replaced the tensioner in my car at 3K miles, I haven't heard a peep out of it since and I'm now over 30K. What more should they do?

A warranty extension might benefit some of those early 2nd gen cars, but I wonder if 100K would do it? And what about 2nd or 3rd owners or cars that don't have a service history?

What other forums is the thread on, and how will you know that you're not getting duplicates from owners who use different screennames on different forums?

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave, Well Said

4. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thank you I m trying to do something to help us all and all I get is my head cut off. Wether its mini's part or a some one ells it's is BMW!!! That has to deal with it! They chose that supplier and the team of lawyers has now found over 1500 cases of this issues per dealers all over the US I was just trying to help them by asking people here if they have the problems that's all thank you tho maybe you should look around it's not that small of a problem!!! Sorry I can't spell I have a learning disability and if spell check dose not get it I can't fix it thanks!!

5. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #5 gjn25, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Ok thank you I m trying to do something to help us all and all I get is my head cut off. Wether its mini's part or a some one ells it's is BMW!!! That has to deal with it! They chose that supplier and the team of lawyers has now found over 1500 cases of this issues per dealers all over the US I was just trying to help them by asking people here if they have the problems that's all thank you tho maybe you should look around it's not that small of a problem!!! Sorry I can't spell I have a learning disability and if spell check dose not get it I can't fix it thanks!!

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ok, that wasn't quite necessary....

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I had the issue, please don't count me as part of your class action, MINI fixed it under warranty. No issue

Only people who are gonna benefit from your actions are the lawyers

Sorry, not interested

Calling us a55holes certainly doesn't help your case (yes your pre-edited response got out)

8. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #8 gjn25, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
    sorry i m just having a bad day don't listen to me i just got in to it with my ex and my car is messed up really bad do to this i m just trying to get a fix for as all that love our lill cars i m so tired BMWs crap over this issues that like i said before is bigger then what they are willing to say out to the public. all of the fine print if this goes through will be figured out by lawyers so that it is fair for all with a fix for those who are over the 50,000 miles warranty like i m and never had a chance to even extend it.

9. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    truly i m sorry to you all

10. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no one will be a part of the class action that dose not want to be all i m looking to get is any idea of numbers of cases is all

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Hrm... :skep: I smell a thread-lock coming...

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My questions to the OP were to try and get additional information - not to chop his head off as he says, and to point out that if he's going to do this he needs accurate info, because I guarandamntee you MINI's lawyers will have it. Interesting that he didn't answer any of my questions.....

There may have been 1500 "incidents, but that doesn't mean there were 1500 timing chain failures - that's part of my point. The one does not automatically preclude the other, nor does it guarantee it. You need accurate case by case info to pursue something like this, just quoting that over 2000 people have had "failures" without specifics won't cut it.

I am not an attorney (although one of my kids is) and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night but over my long automotive career I've been involved in a few of these and I have a good inkling of what happens.

Maybe my use of the word ignorance in my first response was misplaced, perhaps what I should have used is naivete'....

However he may protest that he's just trying to help us get a fix for this problem, his comment about a "team of lawyers" indicates this is more a money grab than anything else - not necessarily by him, but it's there none the less. As TGS91 wrote, the ones who benefit most from these things are the lawyers, the participants will be lucky to get a $5 oil change voucher out of it.

IMHO, the right way to approach this is to get the NTSA involved so that it goes thru them and leave the lawyers out of it.

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nate's at the Dragon, let the mice play!! :D

14. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well there is the problem right there...:ihih: j/k

All jokes aside. Well put Dave. :Thumbsup:

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I'm here, no Dragon for us:(.

My take, MINI has so far fixed many issues, with many MINIs I have owned. Is the timing chain any different then the early Midlands trannies? Do doors that freeze shut so you can't get out of the car count? The exhaust tips were too long on the early 2nd Gens, burning peoples legs( way better legal thing to go after IMO.) My foam vent filter things were toast in 6 months, does that count?

I don't see this "poll" going anywhere, so let's keep it civil from this point on.

Mark

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #16 Minidave, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Well, exactly, what's the difference between this and any other warranty repair? And when does the warranty end?

The thing with the fuel pump is also a supplier issue, so in a way MINI is only acting as a conduit to get the suppplier's bad parts off the road, much like Ford dealers did when the Firestone tires started failing.

I feel for those who have had failures, it seems like most of them are going to be in used cars that have had the problem a while and no one took care of it, then the second owner comes along and bang, he's in for a big repair bill. (Edit: Reading between the lines - I think this is what happened to the OP and why he's doing this - to get his own car fixed cause he can't afford to fix it himself now - I feel for him if this is the case......)

I've been campaigning here and on other MINI forums, if you have a 2007 - 2009 Cooper S and haven't had the chain tensioner replaced, do so! Buy one and change it yourself if necessary - it's not an expensive part and it's not hard to do. This community is always ready to jump in and do all sorts of complicated and expensive mods, yet they don't do a simple, easy and inexpensive "mod" to prevent a major expense?

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    How about someone doing a How To write up on this for the library. I'd be happy to help as would Steve. Just PM either one of us to get the ball rolling.

18. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  20. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Dave, you just don't understand. A timing chain tensioner just isn't "cool" and they certainly don't turn heads. Now, what's more important? Besides, this takes more that a rag and a bottle of Fixitall.