1st Gen R53 Cooper S E85

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by CurrysMini, May 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What all do you need to change out to run E85 on a R53 and is it worth it for cost and power?

2. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Mynes has been working in that area. I'm fairly certain after the holiday weekend if not that Mike will chime in.

4. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I posted a reply earlier, but somehow it 'disappeared' :(

Base on our testing, the following would be required:
    1. Bigger injectors (we use the Bosch OE 550s)
    2. Proper mapping (need the proper scaling for the 550s for E85)
    3. AFR Kit to display AFR so you can use it for tuning and also during the map-switching process.

There is a complete solution here:
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/bytetronik-tuning-discussion/5573-bytetronik-miniflash-fullaccess-tuning-kit-pricing-package-deals.html

Feel free to contact me for more info or details.

5. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I already have the Bosch 550s and I have already had you tune it, but obviously not running E85. Whats the pros and cons of using E85? And how does the flash kit work exactuly? Sorry for all the questions Mike. Still trying to learn. :)

6. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The pro's of running E85 is higher octane rating = +25 to 30 WHP / +15 to 20 WTQ.

The con's:
    - E85 requires 30% more fuel so the extra HP will come at a lower MPG
    - E85 is corrosive and may cause failures in the fuel delivery system.

More info on: E85 Benefits and Drawbacks | Advance Auto Parts

The Tuning Kit will allow you to load maps as well as editing maps. It also provides data-logging and "adaptation clearing" (which is critical when you switch fuel types). Previous Mynes Customers get a discount on the Tuning Kit, and we can provide a 'base E85 map' for your car.

We have been running E85 "ON and OFF" for the past two years without any issues. When we did the TPR1 head upgrade, we took a peak inside the cylinders and they looked squeaky clean - no carbon build up whatsoever. Please remember, YMMV and understand that there are risks in running E85.

7. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If I start running E85, and I'm out on the road and need gas and E85 isn't around can I still use 91 Octane? Also if I do more mods to the car does the tunning kit take care of those or do I need it customed tunned again? Sorry if these question seem elementary:confused5:
    And what kind of discount to you give previous customers?
    Thanks for all the info Mike I really appreciate it. :Thumbsup:

8. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    NP. Here are some clarification. The tuning kit will enable you access to the maps so you can take it to any local tuner so they can fine tune it for you.

If you run out of E85 and don't have a station near by, you can put 91 or 93 octane back in the tanks, then keep an eye on the AFR. As the 91/93 start to mix in and the E85 starts burn out, you will see the AFR start to go lean. So it's best to run at lower rpm and take it easy as the pump gas starts to blend in and take over... then you'll load the 91 map back in - the flashing of the new map only takes 45 seconds to complete (pull the car over first, of course), clear "All adaptations", then start the car and go your merry way.

Previous customer get a $200 discount towards the Tuning Kit. There are various blends of E85 so the E85 that we have in Cali might not be as good as the ones in Texas (or vise versa).

9. CurrysMini

CurrysMini New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to do some checking around to see about close gas stations that carry E85. I think there is only one close. Plus I don't know of a local tuner. So it will have to be a weekend trip to Houston. Thanks for all the info Mike. Just ordered some Wilwoods last week, so have to wait a little bit for the tuning kit. Wife gets a little upset when the UPS guy comes to often...

10. Desy232

Desy232 Banned

Dec 4, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I happened to see the topic. This is what I was looking for

11. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Jan Brueggemann @RMW has developed a number of E85 "safe" parts including fuel rail, pump, etc. After a bottom end rebuild I'm going that route.