3rd Gen F56 Cooper You're not going to like this review if you've already decided you hate the F56

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by Spa2k, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    The March issue of Car magazine includes a glowing review of the Cooper, plus a sidebar on the Cooper S. The conclusion: "...contrary to earlier reports, the new Mini looks great, feels twice as expensive as before and is as fun to drive as ever."

Go here to read the whole story: Mini-Cooper-2014-CAR-review

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Hmm.....
    Funny....even the worst cars made usually get great into reports from the press....
    Only a few places....thethuthaboutcars.com comes to mind...seem to have the 6 month report on a new car closely match the launch or prelaunch hyperperburbleee....then again...the auto makes only send you cars to test if you have given them glowing reports.....
    IMO the jury is still out....
    But maybe it could be a winner...if they don't recall your car cause it didn't "sound right"... Lol...see the euro recall thread on the MINI D....

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ""We’ve come to Puerto Rico to drive the latest incarnation of BMW’s Mini.......""

Opening line says it all...

4. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    P.S.
    Several auto rags have test driven the car in the same location...kinda telling...no highways...and a location is usually picked to make the car look good and the reporters get a warm vacation in the middle of winter....
    Drive a new car....take a few days of tropical sunshine...make us look good...you get a free vacation!!! Makes me wonder....

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    A real love fest I'll bet....

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Still ugly inside and out.

7. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    A neighbour has bought an F56 and parks it opposite my house. Aside from the Loop Spoke wheels that I rather like, I would not know it as a different Mini if I didn't have one myself.

[​IMG]

Even as a partial car nut, I didn't notice the difference between first and second generation models until I had one - folks that reckon there is a night and day difference between any of them are just obsessing, I think.

Attached Files:

• F56.JPG
      F56.JPG
      File size:
      106.3 KB
      Views:
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Obsessing! I resemble that remark! :D

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^^ I agree. I can't even see a difference in the front from that angle. Truthfully, it took me a while to get use to the blunt, front end on my R56. :Thumbsup:

10. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    I knew the dealer had one, but I had to drive around the lot twice to find it - a dark gray S in a line of other dark gray MINIs. It looked considerably different in person than it did in pictures, but I knew it would. The large taillights don't look bad in person, but the front end IMHO definitely is not pretty. The interior is a step up in quality, the seats are terrific, but the tach and fuel slivers are silly. If you have an R53, you'll hate it because you have an R53 (or don't have the money for a 3rd Gen). If you have a 2nd Gen., you might like it because it's the latest thing and NEW! But for me, the 3rd Gen. just isn't compelling enough to consider owning one - especially since there's no JCW. That wasn't true when I bought my R56 JCW, because there just wasn't anything around for under 35K that was as much fun to drive.

Now, however, the new GTI with Performance Package, WRX and even the much pricier M235i have gotten my attention. The F56 JCW is going to have to be spectacular to compete with that group.

Obviously, I have the brand loyalty of a three-toed sloth. :wink:

11. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Ah, but when you open the door and sit down, you know you are in a BMW :cryin:

From that angle there's no question to me it's an F56 with the billboard size rear lights. If you have to cut the boot around the lights so it can be opend and closed.....you probably designed your lights a tad too big....

I'm not hatin' just to be hatin'. It's just so sad to see the MINI identity (I'm speaking of the BMW era from 2001-2013) being diluted in the name of higher profit margins and lower costs by sharing parts and structure between several models within BMW.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Some folks have poor eyesight me included. I wore my glasses when I drove the F56. Yes I removed my rose colored shades to get the whole picture.

The F56 has shown me how nice an R56 really is. Truth be told other than the French engine I've liked the R56. After all there is an R55 in our stable here at the old folks home. Yep I do like my R53 more better, that's for you Justa Jim.:wink:

I have money enough to buy a new car, but the F56 isn't going to make me break the piggy bank. There are others that would.

Yes it will be great if the F56 JCW is something special other that a tape stripe job. :fingerscrossed:

13. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Well said....
    Looks are what got me to drive a mini the first time....
    Then the performance and awesome handling got me to stay....
    The fact it has been fun, reasonably reliable, AND good looking for years has been great...
    But few "ugly" duckling cars survive.... Even if everything else is right....
    The fact many say they feel more BMW than MINI is IMO a minus..... Then iffy looks...not saying I hate it....but sure don't LOVE IT AT FIRST GLANCE....and that is WHY I test dove a MINI....

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am just upset my MINI eye lashes won't fit my new F'ed56. Now I have to buy a new set. :lol:

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Buy two sets Dave. Each giant headlight will need 2 sets for proper coverage.

Even as I type this some guy in China is working hard to produce sets for ALTA. :smilewinkgrin:

16. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #16 ZippyNH, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Funny thing is....
    I get the feeling that r53's and r50,/r52's were mostly paid for cash (or signifigant down payments)by owners who wanted and could afford an extra car....these days, mini/BMW is selling "special" deals left and right....makes you wonder.....
    The gen2 cars seem to be mostly leased or sold with longer loans to folks who are reaching...trying to buy style and status... Like BMW... Rather that just getting what they like....and in most cases can afford, costs be dammned with no worries or cares to fitting into a specific crowd. We bought what we liked, what worked and did our own thing....
    I can feel and see the differences in the owners... Both on these boards and at events....maybe I am just getting older....but the brand seems to be moving away from the car crowd and more to the "apple" crowd....but that's just me think out loud....
    Not saying apple does not make a mint, but It it is just good design that WORKS...

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Funny, but I remember all the old posts complaining about the "cheap plastic interior". Now they upgrade and you all are still not happy.

Crash, maybe I'll sell ya Foggie, when I upgrade. :Thumbsup:

18. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    This isn't personal, Zippy, but how can you know that?. I'll take it as your opinion, but not as fact. :rolleyes:

However, this is personal: What's happening to the "fun and friendly"? I'm getting tired of all the angst and negativity around here about what other people own. I'm happy for anyone who's happy with his/her car. And face it: All generations of the MINI are BMWs, like it or not, and the company is going to do what it needs to sell the the highest number of cars possible as time marches on. Don't like it? There are tons of alternatives in the marketplace, but IMHO one of them won't ever be a remake of a 12-year-old car that can't meet current safety and other standards (as ridiculous as those standards are).

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I think this all comes down to visual styling and whether or not we like it. Most of us have not driven it, so we can not give any meaningful feedback on that. BUT we can all say with some certainty whether or not we like the looks. And isn't that something that we all can agree is a big part of the buying decision?

20. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    BMW routinely has THE highest lease vs purchase rates vs ALL OTHER CARS....fact.
    And mini (at least from the adds running locally) is going down the same path....
    Negativity.... Hm...more like disgust....I TRY to like the look of the new cars....but can't...just goofy as opposed to cool or cute....they might go like "snot" but for $40,000 I want a car I like the LOOK of....and drives well...I don't want to settle for the ugly duckling...she is not having my baby!! Lol.