1st Gen R50 Cooper DME Fault P1688, EML/SES lights.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by M1N1, Feb 15, 2016.

1. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm driving home from work in the early hours of this morning, and I stop for gas. After filling up, I pulled away from the pump, and the EML/SES lights came on and the MINI went into "limp home mode". It is about a 56 mile commute, and I was about 10 miles from home.

This morning I took the car to a mechanic that I trust, and he plugged in his state-of-the-art code scanner/reader and pulled up "P1688, DME Fault". He pulled up a technical service alert from MINI with possible causes and repairs. He checked all of the items mentioned in the service alert, and all was good. Two of the possible causes are; Possible air leak in the induction system, and MAP sensors are indicating implausible values. Other possible causes relate to the S/C (I drive an R50). He also checked out my original, 10 year old battery and found it to be good.

The alert had a test procedure that has you drive in first gear @ 5500 rpm, shift into second and again drive @ 5500 rpm. Then you decrease the revs to 3500 and then back up to 5500, still in second. After doing this procedure 4 consecutive times, you then drive normally and return home. If the fault has not returned, the car is presumed to be okay. I also drove the car for about a 15 mile round trip after completing the procedure with no problems. When I got home I shut off the car, left it stand for awhile, and then went on another short drive with no issues.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I know you said the battery tested as good, but a 10 year old battery has to be on its last leg. MINI's do strange & wonky things when the battery is going south. That's all I've got.

3. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Battery was one of my first thoughts. I may just replace it anyway.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have had something like that happen after a fill up on the way to MOTD a few years back.
    I stopped and shut the car off and restarted and "limp Mode" was gone. At my stop I scanned the codes, cleared them and reset all the "adaptives" with my BavTech tool and kept going down the road.

Have not had an issue since.